89 SP Hard at starting...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 SP Hard at starting...?

Ok so I got the thing to start and all the electrical worked out on this thing. But now I have another problem. It turns over really hard, almost like its a bad battery, but I know its good. I thought it might have been the impeller/wear ring and all but I took it out and well its still turning over hard. I dont know what to think of this, the starter works well or seems to. I pulled the plugs and it turns over just dandy then, but not when its under compression. Help?

Re: 89 SP Hard at starting...?

Have you tried another battery? I know you think yours is good, but try a new battery anyway. Otherwise, you need a new motor if the starter is good.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Im having the exact same problem?

Comment

In these cases, I remove the driveshaft cover and turn the motor by hand with the sparkplugs removed. Is the motor tight? Does it make any clunking sounds, other than RV gear backlash, when you rotate the motor left and right? Sound like a rod is damaged? Any scraping sounds, like the starter ring gear on the front flywheel has moved rearward and is rubbing the cases?

Next, I verify that the battery is in new condition ( load test) and the starter motor is working properly and that all ground wires and positive cables are in good condition and well grounded.

Has the motor been sitting for months rusting because it was not winterized with lubricants in the clyinders?

Is the jetpump dragging because of damage to the impellor or the bearings inside the pump? Is the driveshaft carrier bearing free allowing the driveshaft to spin?
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X