Does this driveshaft look OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this driveshaft look OK?

I inspected my driveshaft and pump last night. Can someone who knows look at this pic and tell me if this looks OK? To me - it looks perfect and undamaged - I can still feel the machined ridges on the high spots of the splines. I also included a pic of the largest chunk from the stator vein - it is really about the size of a half dollar (I also included another vein for reference). I'm feeling you are correct tech - I can't find any other reason for the 5mph top speed. Finally, how easily should the impeller turn by hand. If I spin it, should it keep spinning, or is it normal for it to stop within about 1/8th of a turn? Thanks again for all.
    Attached Files
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Re: Does this driveshaft look OK?

How do the splines look on the impeller side? The splines in the pic is the engine side. Also how are the splines on the engine coulpler and impeller?

Comment

They look good. On the impeller side I still have the machined ridges also (the machine only has about 50 hrs on the clock). I pulled the rubber grommet on the coupler (old style) and stuck my head into the hull to look inside (don't try this at home kids) - I gotta say that looks good too - remembering I have no "good" reference. The splines are uniform and pretty deep. From my last post Tech insists that it is possible for broken veins to cause my problem. Odd that this just "happened". But, unless I'm missing something - I think I have to go on Tech's advise.
      WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

How is the drive shaft seal inside the hull if this leaks air you will cavitate

Comment

I assume you are referring to the part with the grease fitting behind the coupler. How do I check it? Do I need to remove it? And if I do, is it just a matter of releasing the hose clamps - then reinstalling them?
          WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Yes remove the hose clamps and pull it out.
            http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...0-DRIVE-SYSTEM

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a look tonight.
              WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

I also have a low end vibration at about 1/3 throttle, then it's gone. Doesnt seem like I'm reaching full RPM most of the time, but it gets up and goes great. I'm quite sure my problem is with my stator veins as well, as the impellar is actually in pretty decent shape. Splines are great on both ends, and I keep her greased up real good. Pump housings are waaaay expensive though, so I plan on just toughing it out until I can find a cheap one. The 92's are quite rare and different though...lucky me. I am also curious how easily the impellar should turn by hand. Mine will spin about a turn and a half, with a normal bearing sound as it spins. I plan on getting the removal tool and checking/replacing the bearings and impellar at the end of the season if need be. Hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                Got Wake!

Comment

Originally posted by ski_guy
                  ...I am also curious how easily the impellar should turn by hand. Mine will spin about a turn and a half, with a normal bearing sound as it spins.
                  A turn and a half? Man, my bearings are bad. I can't get half that if my life depended on it. Can someone who knows chime in on this - I've only had this ski so I got nothing to compare it to. Tech, you out there?
                  WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

The impeller should spin freely, not contacting the housing at all, and the bearings should roll smoothly. There's no magic answer for how many turns it should spin, it should just be very smooth without resistance.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Scottso: make sure you have the rubber bumpers on each end of that driveshaft when you put it back on.

Comment

Thanks ShowMePro1200 - I will. What do you think of the way the driveshaft looks in the first post? Are the splines on the engine side supposed to have that curve (not sure now whether it is wear or it is machined that way), or are they supposed to be straight all the way back?
                        WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Yes the curve is for some misalignment of the engine to drive unit. When I replaced my impeller bearings it would spin aprox 2 complete turns by hand that would also depend how much and what kind of grease you use.

Comment

Splines in the first pic look just fine to me.

I'm still trying to get what you guys are talking about spinning something around 1-2 times - the pump shaft/impeller assembly should spin fairly freely as many times as you want when its off the boat. What am I missing here?

Comment

We are talking about when you give it one good flick buy hand how far does it continue to spin

Comment

Working...
                              X