Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 XP Starting Problems or ... The most expensive 96 XP ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP Starting Problems or ... The most expensive 96 XP ever!

I'm new to the forum ... great info here, wish I found it sooner!

I'm having trouble with my 96 XP ... I'll give you the history first. I bought the ski used and in great shape a few years ago. Had a few great seasons then started doing too many submarines and got water in the motor and electronics one to many times ... now I've had cronic problems with this thing and haven't been able to enjoy it for the last two seasons and I want to have my reliable, fun to ride ski back!!

Initially I was having starting problems, even after the ski was warm it just wouldn't fire up again but would run fine once started. A few submarines later the motor grenaded and I had it rebuilt. The electrical (I think?) problems continued with rusted conectors and rear high voltage box gremlins. I got the conectors fixed and replaced the rear electrical box last year. Still having starting problems. The front electrical box had it's own issues as it never really closed well since a clip was broken ... I ordered a new one of those too from a salvage yard. It is going in next.

Since everything will now be essentially new now, I think my problem is with the starter itself ... hopefully this will be it! When I go to start the ski I get a click ... then a pause ... then the starter spins but it's as if the plugs aren't sparking ... I have heard this can be a common problem with these skis. Something about the electrical system (spark) not working properly because the starter draws too much amperage which shuts down the electrical system. I don't pretend to be a mechanic and take it to a friend who has been working on these things for years and was highly recommended. Do you think the starter needs to be replaced? It has been rebuilt before but the same problem ensues.

I don't want to spend any more money on my sea doo which I dub the most expensive 96 XP ever!!

HELP!

Thanks,

Tally

Re: 96 XP Starting Problems or ... The most expensive 96 XP ever!

Well, I think you know the source of all your troubles...the ski was NEVER designed to do submarines :) Stop doing them and you'll have your reliable fun ski back :)

Replace your starter - rebuilding them is never a good option. You may also need a new battery and/or cables. Read the tech article on starting problems to narrow it down.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 96 XP Starting Problems or ... The most expensive 96 XP ever!

Thanks, I did read the article earlier today and will try the techniques explained. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X