No announcement yet.

2002 gpr1200r burning oil, bogging out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 gpr1200r burning oil, bogging out.

Hello,

My gpr1200r has 35 hrs and was running fine until last weekend, it started bogging out at low rpm and then clears out at mid to high rpm it also smokes at idle and the smoke smells like burnt oil. After reading this forum I decided to check the cat con and it is in good condition, I installed the D plate for good measure and installed the waveeater upgrade kit as well. While I have the exhaust off I decided to look around and from what I can tell there is a lot of oil in the flame arrester box, so much that when I opened the cover oil dripped out into the hull. I checked the oil pump cable and it seems to be connected and working. The only thing I noticed is when I uncovered the ski for the first time this year was, oil dripping from the rollover valve down the right side under the fairing into the foot well. I am very frustrated and could use any help I can get to find and correct this problem.

Thanks,

Tony38

Re: 2002 gpr1200r burning oil, bogging out.

Hmmm...it's possible the oil pump advance has somehow broke internally, and now it's pumping full volume at idle. I can't think of any other way you would have that much oil where you say you do, if the cable is working correctly.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

What does the oil rollover valve do ? and why would oil leak out of it ?, is their pressure pushing it out ?.

Comment

I don't know what you are calling a rollover valve?

Comment

Their is a valve under the right fairing connected by a hose to the oil tank. it is listed as a rollover valve in the oil tank parts diagram on the yamaha site.

Comment

OOOH. I love how the Japanese come up with their own names for stuff :D

That is a check valve designed to let air in to fill the tank as the oil is used. Most likely you have the tank overfilled, and the valve is stuck open. Replace it.

Comment

Thank you for the explaination!, could this be the problem with the exess oil being pumped into the motor! if it is it would be an easier fix than replaceing the oil pump.

Comment

No, they are not related.

Comment

If I have the exaust off is it advisable to remove and rebuild the carbs. Again the ski has 35 hrs.

Comment

fill oil tank only to top of oil tank..... not to filler neck and hose......every waverunner will leak if filled beyond top of oil tank.......

Comment

Working...
                    X