This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha Exciter 270 jet boat

I have a 1999 Yamaha Exciter 270 jet boat. Both engines start and run fine. However, the left engine is smoking more than normal. Compression is good. Is there an adjustment on the oil pump or is the oil pump starting to go bad? The engines have just a little over 100 hours. I appreciate any imput.
    Thanks

Re: 1999 Yamaha Exciter 270 jet boat

They will never smoke the same....Make sure stainless clamps are on all the small lines. Not zip ties.......or they will come off and engines will seize...If this is the power valve model, remove exhaust systems and check for stainless clamps on lines at carbs............

Comment

I have checked all the oil lines and they are secured properly. The left engine smokes real heavy at an idle and I thought this was abnormal compared to the other engine in the boat and my waverunners with the same motor. Thanks for your reply. This is a great web site.

Comment

these are 65U non pv engines. YOu can pickup a used oil pump and try it out to see if the oil flow is any different. The lines have chk valves so rather than one engine smoking too much , you might have one engine not smoking enough... clogged check...unless it just started smoking more.

Imo Zip ties are fine for non pressure lines such as fuel and pulse..the fittings are large on the ends and the zips prevent loss at the low suction/pressure these are at. Black zips only..uv resistant.

But i totally agree with david on the oil lines and water lines. The oil lines can slip off easily and your toast , and the water lines are under great pressure. I have never seen a hose clamp small enough for oil lines , so i remove the oil system and premix.

at 100 hrs and 7 yrs old, you need to have your carbs rebuilt in a bad way if you haven't already. They won't warn you..they just catastrophically fail when the carb checks crease more (i guarentee you they are creased on one side of the valve body).

good luck,
        Dave
        97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
        dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

my dealer gets these one time crimp stainless clamps and I think Yamaha may use them now........for the small oil lines...it's only a matter of time before they fall off....causing countless numbers of engine jobs!

Comment

How much do they smoke when up to operating temp and cleared out?

Comment

Working...
            X