Start/Stop Switch Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start/Stop Switch Box

Some how, I keep getting water into my switch box which makes the ski to not start. After letting it dry out the first time, the ski started right away. So, I took some silicon and sealed around the Handle Bars and the seal around the box where the top and bottom come together. This seemed to be working great for weeks. The silicon never came off and looked the same from when I put it on. But last night I had the same problem and was dead in the water. So, would it be safe to silicon over all the wires inside the box or is there a better way of sealing this off from the water.

Thanks Matt

I would bet it's coming in around the rubber seals around the buttons.

Comment

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. I never thought of the buttons letting the water in. If I replace the buttons, will the new one's come with rubber seal's.

Thanks
      Matt

Comment

No, the casing halves do.

Comment

Ok, Yesterday after work I decided to make sure that it was the start/stop switch that wasn't working properly. So, I started the ski on the trailer and it would start fine. Then, I took it and put it in the water and the ski turned over once and that was it. So back on the trailer and nothing for a couple of hours. Then not 5 minutes after trying it again, the ski turned over and still keeps starting with no problem. Even tried it this morning. So, now I don't know what it could be.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are Great.

Matt

Comment

That's typical of a bad electrical connection on the starting circuit. See this thread.

Comment

Bryan,

I followed what you said on the link about the electrical connection and everything seemed to be working great on the trailer. So, I put it in the water and rode a round a little bit. Everything was working great, would restart with no problems until I hit some waves that came up over the handle bars. Once the whole ski was wet, it wouldn't restart with the same problems.

Do you have anymore ideas.

Thanks for all the help and being patient with me. As you can see, I don't know a lot about ski's.

Matt

Comment

I would be looking at your stop/start seitch assembly, making sure it's not taking on water then. Also examine the lanyard post wires.

Comment

Hello I would like to add this : my ski would not start sometimes ,and being a vehicle electrician zi thought that it wouldnt be hard to find, drove me crazy , untill I checked everything out, and found the lanyard(original) red in color was not holding the switch high enough out of the box the fork was wore , causing it not to start sometimes, I know it sounds crazy but think about it for a minute, if it wont start pull the start button to its full out with your fingers, see if it starts, (it doesnt cost anything) hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, Thanks guys. I will check it all out. If I do need to buy a new Start Switch Assembly, do you recommend trying to find a used one or just buying brand new.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

It's a $120 part for the whole assembly - I would find a good used one. Try these guys.

Comment

please also try ,m/m marine ask for mitchell his prices are very good,1-888-802-7828 TRY THE START BUTTON PULL OUT THING FIRST

Comment

M&M is part of the link I just gave.

Comment

sorry :( I was just trying to help........

Comment

Working...
                            X