2000 Ultra 150, # 2 Cylinder Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Ultra 150, # 2 Cylinder Dead

I was at idle, gave it some gas and noticed my 2000 Ultra 150 seemed to be running sluggish all of the sudden. It would run about 50-55 mph instead of around 68-70. So I changed the spark plugs as the #2 spark plug looked fouled.

Put new plugs in, same thing, #2 looked fouled instantly.

Pulled the jetski out, and saw a plastic bag sucked into the intake.

Took out the bag, put in new plugs, same thing, #2 fouled again.

Did Compressoin test, #2 is reading 30psi. Cyl. #1 & #3 are reading about 115 psi.

What is next? Pull the jug on #2? Broken ring maybe?

Thoughts, prices, ever heard of this on 2000 Ultra 150?

Thank you

Re: 2000 Ultra 150, # 2 Cylinder Dead

You need to pull the head and see what the piston looks like. The nice thing about your Ultra is you only need to replace one cylinder, and one head, where other engines you would most likely have to change out the hole cylinders block and the entire head. Contact SBT or look on ebay for a top end rebuild.
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

I pulled the dome, the ring is broken, the piston & cylinder wall is damaged.

What is the best way to pull the cylinder off? It is the #2 and it wont budge.
      Is there something I can attach to it to get some leverage?

Also, where can I buy just 1 cylinder,piston & rings?

I called SBT and I was told I had to buy all 3 cylinders, why no choice?

Thank you

Comment

Well I have never removed a cylinder with the engine still in the boat. But You might be able to do it. Do you think the bag had something to do with it? Or does it look like the ring just broke. There should be 4 bolts connecting the jug to the cases. Then you will have to remove the 2 water log bolts that connect the cylinder to the cooling log. After all 6 have been removed you may want to tap it with a plastic mallet or hammer from the outside (Meaning the side of the cylinder closest to the boat. After removing the bolts you may want to tap it with a plastic mallet to break it free. If you can get those water log bolts off while the engine is still in the hull you should be able to remove the jug. And I think the best way to get to the bolts would be using a ratched and come from the back and run your arm up between the cylinders and hull.
        Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
        2002-1100STX DI
        2004-15F
        2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Im not sure about the bag, but I really hope that a simple bag would not cause this much damage. I have sucked up a rope before, and nothing serious happened other than me having to cut it off of the impeller. The ring and cylinder are damaged on the exhaust port side only. It is a mystery to me.

I have all of the bolts out, it is sealed on pretty good though. I will eventually get it, I was just wondering if there was a tool or jig I could make up to bolt on to the cylinder to get some leverage.

This question again:
          Where can I buy just 1 cylinder,piston & rings?

I called SBT and I was told I had to buy all 3 cylinders, why no choice?
          The compression on the other 2 cylinders is good.

Comment

Check ebay they always have them. You could call Steve at www.skiworx.com he might have one or beable to rebuild or set you in the right direction. I would try tapping gently on the base of the jub with a plastic malet that should break the gasket free. I would also turn the engine over by hand and lower that piston all the way to Bottom Dead Center and spray lots of WD40 all over the walls and ring area and then raise and lower the piston a few times then bring it about half way up and then try to pull it off. You could see if Auto Zone or somewhere similar has a slide hammer that will work. I know they make ones you can clamp onto bolts.
            Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
            2002-1100STX DI
            2004-15F
            2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Just curious, have you or anyone else done this?
              I Tried tapping with plastic mallet, then hitting, then slamming......nothing.
              Is something else holding this thing on to the exhaust? I took off 4 cylinder base nuts, 2 water log bolts, and the dome is off. I took a 2 ft 2x4 and started hitting it with a hammer, still nothing, no movement.

It is either sealed really well or something else is holding it on from the inside.

I thought about the slide hammer, but it looks like the cylinder must be removed in an upward angle and there is no clearance. Honda was so smart about having those removable side panels!

I found a cylinder, but Im about to give up on this removal process, I need someone to pump me up & get me some good removal tips before I take it to you know where. And that is where everytime I take something, it comes back with something new wrong. A shop. Dont let me do it!

Thanks

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but the exhaust mainifold has been removed -
                right?

Comment

Yea there is 4 bolts on the exaust, I thought you already removed it. That could cause a problem getting it loose.
                  Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                  2002-1100STX DI
                  2004-15F
                  2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Ok, this is what I said previously: "Is something else holding this thing on to the exhaust? I took off 4 cylinder base nuts, 2 water log bolts, and the dome is off."

Exhaust manifold has NOT been removed. But after you mentioned that 99gp1200, I looked again, and now underneath the intake/arrestor on the opposite side of the engine, I see two bolts that look like they go through the exhaust manifold to the cylinders. If I take the arrestor off, and take these two bolts out for this cylinder, It looks like it will come off, will it?

Comment

there are 3 studs that come out of the jugs and through the collector pipe. So the entire exaust has to be removed. You can start by disconnecting the water box from the head pipe, remove the F/A and then remove the 5 bolts holding the pipe to the collector. Once that pipe is removed you can then remove the collector. Sorry about not telling you this, I read to fast.
                      Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                      2002-1100STX DI
                      2004-15F
                      2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Read our Kawasaki 1200 engine install/removal guide, page 3, it shows you the three bolts per cylinder the exhaust manifold is mounted with. Yes of course you need to remove the exhaust manifold before you do anything with the cylinders.
                        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: 2000 Ultra 150, # 2 Cylinder Replaced

Help please, I have replaced cyl, rings, & piston in cyl#2, and it is running ok, but cyl# 2 is still fouling and I dont want to tear up another cylinder, Im sure this is what made it eat the last piston, rings and cylinder. I have attached a picture and tried to get the best picture I could of the 3 plugs, its the fouled one in the middle, what could be the cause. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Have you had the flame arrester off? Look and see if the chokes aren't damaged, or something is restricting air flow. Also was this plug chop done at wide open or after the engine was idleing? How many hours do you have on the boat now?
                            Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                            2002-1100STX DI
                            2004-15F
                            2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

About 112 hours on it, when I changed out the cylinder I had the F/A off & did not see any restrictions in the intake. I have to idle in to my cove, but the plug always looks the same every time I pull it or even if I put a new one in. I keep burning brand new plugs and they always end up looking the same. And I have not held it wide open, because of putting a new cylinder, rings, & piston in that #2 cylinder.

I looked up this engine/carb and it says there are no adjustments on the carb for idle and high rpm.

What are some possible causes? Please Help!

Comment

Working...
                              X