96 GTX Fuel Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GTX Fuel Issues

Hello everyone - glad to have found this forum. I own a 96 GTX 787 with the 2 carbs and the fuel pump on the MAG side carb.
    I have done some searching but would like some further insight. My fuel pump is not working I believe. There is movement from the pulse line. The diaphram, filter in the pump, asorted gaskets, O-Rings etc.... all seem to be fine. None are torn, leaking, or show any kind of wear whatsoever. I cleaned them all and replaced.
    When I hook it back up to the pulse line there is slight air movement on the intake pipe but it is so slight that I can't tell if it is pulling into the fuel pump or blowing out slightly. I would assume that the pressure would be comparable to that being produced by the Pulse Line?!? a couple PSI?
    It shoud pump regardless of whether or not the entire system is hooked back up should it not?? I.E. the return lines? the carb actually bolted back down?
    Does this sound like the valves in the fuel pump have gone bad? All passageways are perfectly clear
    The filter in the front of the Ski is not clogged in any way. When it is filled with fuel the pump is not pulling it down to the carbs. On a side note (and this was not my brightest move admitedly) when I started sucking on the fuel line coming from that filter it took a pretty good amount of pressure to pull any fuel though until I unfortunately got a mouthful.
    Do they make a fuel pump rebuild kit of any kind that I should look into? Should I just buy a new fuel pump? Is there any way to just put some kind of inline electric fuel pump in or is there problems with fuel pressuere moderation that way? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Re: 96 GTX Fuel Issues

Make sure your fuel valve is working correctly in the on and reserve positions.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey20
      Make sure your fuel valve is working correctly in the on and reserve positions.
      I don't think the petcock (sp) is faulty because I seem to be getting next to nothing out of the intake side of the fuel pump housing.

Comment

I agree with mike, try the petcock in both positions. You should be able to pull fuel through the valve easly... I have seen these go bad, but usaully it will work in one or the other positions.

Comment

Originally posted by seapro25
          I agree with mike, try the petcock in both positions. You should be able to pull fuel through the valve easly... I have seen these go bad, but usaully it will work in one or the other positions.
          It was the same amount of pressure at both the reserve and ON location. I will admit though that it required more pressure than I had assumed. Should the fuel pump pull some either way - I mean shouldn't I be able to feel some pressure on teh intake pipe??

Comment

Are you refering to the baffle in the tank before the petcock,because there is a filter in your tank as well.

Comment

Are you refering to the baffle in the tank before the petcock,because there is a filter in your tank as well.
              No I was talking about the Filter that is right up under the release for the front storage compartment. The one that you can unscrew. Either way do you think the pump is bad or do you think that this might be a fuel FLOW problem and taht the pump is fine

Comment

There is no pump,yes you are probably chasing a restriction either at your water seperator (bad o-ring) ,petcock assembly or filter at the end of the baffle ,did you run an inline filter also because automotive ones are to restrictive and can cause issues.

Comment

There is no pump,yes you are probably chasing a restriction either at your water seperator (bad o-ring) ,petcock assembly or filter at the end of the baffle ,did you run an inline filter also because automotive ones are to restrictive and can cause issues.
                  There is a diaphram style pump on the MAG (front) carbeurator. That is what it is referred to as in the manual. There was also fuel in the filter up under the front cover and it would not flow (be pulled) down to the carbs. And no I do not have any inline filters on it.

Comment

Try removing the fuel return line from the pto carb, place your finger over the fitting on the carb and blow through the line. It should pressurize and then if you remove your finger from the return line fitting you will have some gas dribbles. Check to make sure it pressurizes. You may have an air leak somewhere.
                    "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Roszell
                      Try removing the fuel return line from the pto carb, place your finger over the fitting on the carb and blow through the line. It should pressurize and then if you remove your finger from the return line fitting you will have some gas dribbles. Check to make sure it pressurizes. You may have an air leak somewhere.
                      PTO carb is off too. I took both carbs off because it just seemed easier.

Comment

yes that is the only pump, but if you can't draw fuel from the tank there is a possible obstuction or air leak .

Comment

Carb rebuild kits come with new a diaphram and related gaskets/seals just no needle and seat.

Comment

yes that is the only pump, but if you can't draw fuel from the tank there is a possible obstuction or air leak .
                            I guess I will look for an obstruction before I buy any rebuild kits. I hope that that is it....

Comment

Check the fuel selector valve for an obstruction.
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM
                              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
                              X