starter removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter removal

Hopefully someone out there can help me out....I need to remove the starter on my ski. It is a 1995 slx 780. I have the shop manual, and it shows '3' bolts that mount it to the block. It states that once the bolts are removed it should pull right out. Well let me tell you something, it is barely moving. Is this really how it needs to come out? I know there are 1 or 2 o-rings that, if they are dried out, are probably holding this thing in pretty good. I am just looking for some insight. I don't want to muscle the hell out of this thing and break something. Thanks in advance for any information.

Mike

Re: starter removal

It should pull right out, but easier said than done. Mine was a struggle. I sprayed some wd40 between the two surfaces, and once the O-rings go lubed up, the starter pulled right out.

Doug

Comment

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...MOTOR-ASSEMBLY
      Remove Item #2 and pull it out

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my SL900 (engine swap). i cannot for the life of me get the thing out. I'll try soakign it w/ some pb blaster..

I guess I don't *really* need to take it out. I could just move the cover over to the new motor and be done with it. But I would like to make sure it comes out just in case in the future I won't have to much trouble removing it in the hull.

Comment

When you take the front engine housing off with the starter you can tap it out then from the inside if it is stuck that bad.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Originally posted by dank
            When you take the front engine housing off with the starter you can tap it out then from the inside if it is stuck that bad.
            I figured I would try that too :)

Comment

hah! I tried tapping on it, the starter just laughed at me.

It is STUCK, it ain't budgin'.

Doesn't really need to come out, but I'm worried if it fails later that I'll have to pull the motor to get it out. I also don't want to destroy it in the process of getting it out either. I soaked the joints in pb blaster, but it's not coming off.

Comment

Yea, I feel your pain....I also soaked it with pb blaster and it just doesn't want to come out. My problem is that I need to get it out to replace it. It is a little loose but barely. I guess we just have to try and muscle it out some more.

Comment

Just a thought, and I have no idea if it will work or not.... How about a pickle fork between the starter and the case? Is there enough room to use one of them?

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by douglee25
                    Just a thought, and I have no idea if it will work or not.... How about a pickle fork between the starter and the case? Is there enough room to use one of them?

Doug
                    that's not a bad idea honestly.. although I'm scared of damaging both the starter and the cover. there might be enough room, it's pretty narrow, but it might "move it" enough to fit and work.

That might work for me in the future if I need to remove the starter if it fails while in the hull. Good call!

Comment

Originally posted by javiert99
                      that's not a bad idea honestly.. although I'm scared of damaging both the starter and the cover. there might be enough room, it's pretty narrow, but it might "move it" enough to fit and work.

That might work for me in the future if I need to remove the starter if it fails while in the hull. Good call!
                      With all the rust in your flywheel area you may want to get the starter out to make sure the o-ring is not leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by beerdart
                        With all the rust in your flywheel area you may want to get the starter out to make sure the o-ring is not leaking.
                        It's not.. that area was clean as a whistle. Not sure why there was a bit of rust around the flywheel puller holes, but that's where it was limited to. Stator was squeaky clean as well as the rest of the flywheel compartment.

Comment

If it's not broke dont fix-it

Comment

Originally posted by beerdart
                            If it's not broke dont fix-it
                            that's what i'm goin' with at this time :)

Comment

I talked with one of the mechanics that I know at the local polaris dealership. He laughed and basically said that whenever you need to pull the starter, in most cases, you half to pull the front half of the motor and tap it out from that end. Which will be a freakin' peach with the motor in the hull.

Comment

Working...
                              X