Seadoo 587 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seadoo 587 Engine

I'm new to all this jetski stuff, and I keep hearing people refer to 580 and 587 engines. Are they the exact same thing or are they actually two separate engines? I just pulled a white 587 out of my SeaDoo and need to know if an engine sold as a "580" will drop right in.

Just a couple more things:

The engine that I took out is pretty much worthless as a core - look at the pic below. I want to kill whoever owned the thing last - he sure did a great job rebuilding that engine. Any suggestions as to where I can buy an engine without having to provide a core / a shop that has a core policy that doesn't charge for the damages shown below?

OR, if anyone has a running 587 they are willing to sell send me an email.

Thanks in advance!

And yes, those are helicoils you see in the cylinders

Re: Seadoo 587 Engine

Yes they are the same thing as long as it's a white, not a yellow.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

as long as you buy a white 580 motor you are fine the white 587 and yellow 587 will not exchange

Comment

Why don't you ask SBT if they will take it as a core. You might be suprized.
        Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

They already did, we can't use those cylinders.

Comment

So he only needs clyinders? I have some good core 587 white clyinders.........
            Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Me too!

If you knew,then you'd know!

Comment

Well, I'm weighing my options right now - don't know if I want to buy a used engine that runs, rebuild a good core or get a good core for cheap and buy a new engine with a warranty. I am a car guy - I have problems believing the prices these engines go for . I can buy a running engine for my Taurus SHO w/ less than 80k miles, including all accessories and exhaust y-pipe with cats for under $400.... used 587 engines are going on Ebay for over $800 :emoticond. Sigh.....

Comment

Few more questions - I realized my old 587 motor has an Ocean Pro head on it (after looking at stock motors and realizing all their heads were white.)

1. Is it worth the trouble to install this head when I put a new motor in?
                  2. Will it cause detonation even with 92 octane gas? It has spiraled domes on it.
                  3. If it's worth installing, can I use a stock 587 gasket kit or does it need a special kit?
                  4. Will a stock top/bottom end be able to handle the increase in compression?
                  5. Will I need to perform any other upgrades to ensure the life of the engine with the OP head?
                  6. If I wanted to sell the OP head, how much should I expect to get for it?

Comment

You would void the SBT warranty if you disassembly any part of it, just FYI.

Comment

TS I think he is talking about doing his own rebuild or if he bought another motor somewhere else.

Viper as far as 4,5,6 the top end kit you get would be able to handle it, you shouldnt need any other parts to go with this head , and you might be able to pull 30-50 for it maybe more if you get some one that is looking for it. I personally feel that there are not any cost worthy performance parts out there for the 587 to make it worth while so I would run it fully stock. But then again thats my opinion.

Comment

Well, I tore the cylinders off the engine today - the piston in the cracked cylinder was completely seized up, the other piston/rings seemed fine. How likely is it that the crank / bearings are damaged due to the seizure? I am still looking for an engine or good core cylinders - make me an offer on either.

Comment

Dump that OP head. Throw it in a lake were no others would ever use it. That thing is a detonating piston eating piece of junk..
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM
                          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Well, I bought 2 good cylinders off ebay today - I guess I'm gonna take my chances and rebuild the top end. My guess is that the head is warped as well - at the very least I will have it shaved down before I do the rebuild, but I will probably just buy a good stock one. How do you guys clean up the bottom end of the motor - I am planning on draining all the oil that is still lurking in there and using lots of brake cleaner. I know I got lots of dirt / corrosion down in there when I took off the cylinders . Recommendations on a good top end rebuild kit would be helpful. Any other tips you guys have / things you think I'm missing would be helpful :emoticonc. Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Why not patronize these guys at SBT, they sell good top end kits for a reasonalbe amount of money, and they provide you with all this free technical information.
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM
                              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
                              X