03 FX140 - Starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 FX140 - Starting Problem

This has happened to me twice and need a little advice. My 2003 FX140 starts without a problem 99.9999% of the time. The ski worked perfect, as usual, for 3 days last weekend.

Last year, and yesterday, I went to start it and it would not fire at all. Both times, I had a small amount of fuel in the tank (1/10) but I had not received a low fuel warning. I went to fill the ski up and there was a lot of negative pressure in the tank (air blew out of the tank when I unscrewed the filler cap). The same thing happened last year when I had this problem. Brought it back home and finally got it started (I think I had flooded it when trying to get it to start) and it ran perfect in the driveway. It has popped off perfect 3 times since.

Is this a common problem and is there a solution (other than keeping full tank of gas when it lays up for more than a week)? Is there some type of vent problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you might have.

Re: 03 FX140 - Starting Problem

You could check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure guage with 1/10 fuel in tank or keep more fuel in tank if this helps.......

Comment

Thanks for the comment Dave.

An update on the situation. It started again, yesterday (in the driveway), without a problem. Since it has started fine since unscrewing the cap and since it acted like this once last year, I assume tank pressure is the problem. Kind of surprised I am the only one that has had this problem. I guess the vaccum/pressure is so great in the tank that the fuel pump cannot work. I thought these tanks had some type of breather system/relief valve in them. I assume this was/is the problem. Maybe Tech Support has some ideas/insights.

Comment

All waverunner tanks have a vent system and they are easy to check

Comment

Working...
        X