Slow ZXi 1100??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow ZXi 1100??

I have a 98 ZXi 1100 that is completely stock and has a top speed of only 48 MPH verified by GPS! Here is the history of the ski:

I bought it from a friend of mine who submarined it in salt water on the last ride of 2003. Thinking nothing of it he towed it to shore put it on the trailer and let it sit that way for 5 months! Needless to say the engine was destroyed including the carbs.

I bought it and installed an SBT engine and a set of used CV carbs from a 2000 ZXi 1100. I ran it enough last year to get through the break in period (3-1/2 tanks) and that was it. I never held it open too long last year so I thought nothing of the top speed until this year plus I did not trust the onboard speedo.

The engine seems to be fine. It starts good, idles in and out of the water, has a hesitation when punching the throttle from idle but this seems to be a notorious problem with these CV type carbs. After the hesitation it will shoot right up to 7000 RPM and stay there. There is no cavitation that I can hear and compression on cylinders 1, 2 & 3 is 105, 105, 107, respectively using a new Sears Craftsman compression gauge with the proper adapter. According to Kawasaki specs compression should be 136 PSIG. Could this be the problem?

Where else do I begin to look? Is the max RPM correct? Also, what the hell is the official top speed for these things (stock form)? I have seen everything from 57 MPH to 68 MPH! I suspect its closer to 57 MPH.

PS I am a 190 lb rider.

Thanks

Re: Slow ZXi 1100??

THe RPMS sound right, but the factory tachs arn't always really close. I'd look through out the pump and impeller for damage. If nothing shows up there mabey do a plug chop to see how those carbs are working.

As far as top speed each year I think they got allitte faster with the small changes Kawi made, but I think the top speed they ever reached would be 58-60. scence the carbs are off a 2000 I would think your top end should sit around the numbers I said.
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

SBT,

From what I mentioned does the engine seem to be operating normal?

Comment

Fast ultra already gave you the correct answers. Look to your pump.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X