Charging system working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging system working?

How can I tell if the charging system is working on a 01 XL700?

While doing some water testing the battery suddenly would not crank the engine. Probably started 8-10 times, run less then 10 minutes. After charging the battery and restarting, I disconnected the battery and the ski continued to run. Does this mean the generator is putting out OK and is this a safe (wont blow anything up) test of generator?

Re: Charging system working?

before you start measure your batt by volt meter, run your ski and measure again your batt while your ski running. When you see your volt meter display increase, you still have a good charging system.

Comment

Yes, I forgot to mention that I did not see much of a voltage increase with the engine running, and wondered if this was due to the output of the generator being a pulsed DC and therefore not showing up well on a digital meter, wich are want to average readings such as that.

That being said, I just ran started both skis...

Ski 1. 12.25 stopped /12.4 running
      Ski 2 12.5 stopped /12.6 running

Someone told me that these generators put out less than 1 amp?

Comment

Just found this in another thread ".....few hundred milliamps...."In any event....is it safe to disconnect the battery while it is running...and is this an indication that the magneto is putting out?

Comment

The ignition system has it's own coil for power separate from the coil that charges the battery

Comment

Working...
          X