no midrange 95 SL750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no midrange 95 SL750

Well, did the first lake test today after fresh complete rebuild. Put the carbs at factory specs according to Seloc. Idle is OK, get it to 25~3000 RPM's, it will crap out unless you give it choke, then if you ever get it to full throttle, working the choke, it will scream. (don't wanna do that yet, new engine) Has new 780 fuel pump with 3 outlets. Is this a hi or low speed adjustment, fuel restriction?

Inquiring minds........

Jim
    Last edited by Speakrdude; 06-15-2005, 07:00 AM.

Re: no midrange 95 SL750

Where exactly do you have the needles set (I don't care what an inaccurate Seloc manual says) and have you used kits and rebuilt the carbs? Who rebuilt the motor? What caused the original failure and what was done to fix the cause?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I purchased the engine from a shop that didnt want to invest the $$ to rebuild due to the age and resale value.

I rebuilt the engine as I have done many times before, (not this engine many times, but you get the idea.) Bad crank seal (PTO) took out lower case, crank, etc.

Replaced crank, case, jug, bored all , new pistons, seals..etc and so on... pressure test...good
      Engine had the upgraded fuel pump setup with the lill-bity pump added but as a safety measure I replumbed with a pump for a 780. all new clear hoses, clamps.

Completely torn down, cleaned, inspected all three carbs. Looked as if they were rebuilt not too long ago. All rubber fine. tested pop-off in each. No leaks.

Carb settings (per Seloc) fwd.1-1/4, cnter 3/8, pto 7/8

By-the-way, does anyone know how to reset the hours on the digital clock?

Comment

Throw that manual away, it's useless.

Correct settings are:

High speed: mag 1 turn, center 1/2, pto 3/4
        low speed: 1/2 all
        pop-off 10-18psi

Comment

So it does sound to you like a carb setting issue?

and.....all three large hose fittings on the lower port-side case are to be connected together and capped, correct? And then drained for winter of course.

Jim

Comment

That's fine for the fittings, and it certainly could be a carb issue, if you have them that over-rich. It only takes 1/8 to 1/4 turn to make dramatic differences.

Comment

OK, I'm stumped. I have tried every adjustment there is but with about the same results. give it trottle and it will starve itelf to death. If you give it 25% choke, it runs like a new one. Realll crisp. Adjusting the lo speeds out to almost 2 or 3 turns seem to make it improve. So it all keeps coming back to the same result, lack of fuel. Also I removed the thermostat and restrictor and improved the flow of water tremendously. It was getting pretty warm. But that did not change the fuel issue.

A couple of stupid questions: On this model ski, is the fuel inlet the upper fitting or the lower fitting on the carb rail? I cant remember when I rebuilt. Can the low speed and the hi speed screws be in the reversed?
              I also noticed that while at a fast idle, removing #3 plug wire doesnt seem to make any difference. Is that common due to 3 cylinders? Maybe only notice at higher RPM's? Or could my problem be #3 carb no getting fuel? I have clear, blue fuel hoses so I see fuel being pumped to all carbs. The fuel/water seperator filled real fast, good pressure. Return fuel trickling back into tank so that looks ok.

Comment

Do you have the fuel return restrictor installed?

Comment

I did not add one if thats what your asking. If it's factory it should still be there.

Jim

Comment

It is installed in the fuel return hose aprox 1/4 inch from where the hose attaches to the carbs.Item #14

Comment

I do not remember seeing that, but it acts like it is there because of the normal amount of dribbling at the fuel tank. Although, that would explain the fuel starvation prob.

Can you answer my question about the fuel inlet? Is it the top or bottom fitting? uThe top has a red dot beside it.

Comment

The in is the bottom
                        http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=16233

Comment

Good, I got that one right.

Jim

Comment

Did you change the return fuel line to clear blue if so you probably forgot the restrictor from the old line. It is inserted into the fuel line aprox 1/4 inch in from the carp nipple.

Comment

waitaminute..... sounds to me like it's just cold anyway. You say you start it, it idles fine, and runs fine if you hit the choke for a second..... that's just a cold engine. What happenes after it warms up for a couple minutes?

Comment

Working...
                              X