This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Yamaha waveventure 700?

I just bought a used 95 wave venture 700 and didn't have the ownwers manual. This is my first PWC and don't know much about them. I have been reading alot on this website and forum and it sounds like there is something that needs greased or oil in the jet pump area on some of these PWC. I looked at mine and don't see any grease zirks. Does anyone know if there is anything that I need to lube or grease on this waverunner?

I also noticed under the rear storage compartment, what looks like the muffler there is a piece of foam under the muffler and it looks melted. Is that normal or should there be something else under the muffler to suport it? It does have a rubber bungie cord over the top of it to hold it down. Maybe it just got hot once and melted the styrofoam under it? I havn't even run it long enough to know if the muffler get hot.

Thanks. If anyone knows anything else I should check out on this thing feel free to share.

Re: 1995 Yamaha waveventure 700?

I think your referring to the shaft bearing housing grease fitting. If you look about 3" above the right rear engine mount you should see a small angle bracket with a zerk fitting (may be covered with a black plastic cap) with a black rubber hose leading to the bearing housing. This gets a shot (about 1/4 ounce) of marine grease.

It's well worth the cost to buy a service manual, either the Yamaha factory manual or Clymers will give you detailed instructions on what you should be doing to properly maintain your Venture.

A short list of things you need to grease are: Throttle cable, Choke cable, Steering cable and ball joints, Steering nozzle pivot points, Steering handle pivot shaft, Bearing housing, Throttle cable by your carbs, Carb linkage, Reverse cable and ball joints, Reverse gate pivot points and linkage.

The styrofoam underneath your waterbox (The silver cylindrical box located in the rear, the muffler box is actually located in the engine compartment) shouldn't have melted, my guess is the previous owner either ran the engine without water running through it long enough for the water box to get hot enough to melt the foam, or you have a blockage causing a lack of water to flow through your exhaust, causing excessive heat to build up. Neither one is a good thing.

Things you might want to check out would be the engine compression, if your running the pwc with the oil injection instead of pre-mix, then you need to check the oil injection system is working properly and the filter is clean. Check the impeller and housing for damage/wear/scratches, check the pump vein section for cracked veins. Check all your fuel lines/rubber hoses for wear or loose connections.

Congrats on your Venture, with a little care you should have a very reliable pwc to have fun on.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found the grease zirk right where you said. I saw that but since it had a rubber cap on it I just thought it was a vent tube. Since I have no idea if it ever got greased is there any way to tell if I am getting enough in there. Should it take only a few pumps on a grease gun or more? Is it posible to get too much grease in it and should I be able to see it come out anywhere?

Comment

If it's been greased before it should only need 1/2 pump to top it off. You should feel a little resistance as you're adding the grease. Yamaha recommends it gets done every 100 hrs (or at least once a year) It is possible to overgrease it without knowing it, which may damage the joints or the hose. Pump slowly, and if it seems like you can't get anymore grease in without really pushing hard on the handle it should be full.

B.T.W. on e-bay right now there is a Yamaha maintenance manual on a CD for a 96 701 Wave Venture for about $20. Don't have the link but if you type in "Yamaha Wave Venture" in the search section of e-bay motors it should take you there. You'll get a lot of good info on taking care of your pwc.

Comment

Try squeezing the u shaped exhaust hose in rear of boat. Does it feel crunchy inside? If so, you need to remove and clean out the muffler and replace the hoses. Small grooves in rubber insert inside muffler end clog up with sand and corrosoion and restrict the small water flow that keeps the hoses and water bottle cool. It being a 1995 ski, The muffler needs cleaning out even if hoses are ok. The muffler end is thin at it's rear end and will corrode out and develop small holes it it. Inspect it closely

Comment

I had my first good ride on it today and checked the big muffler in the rear to see how hot it was getting. It was very warm but I could touch it without getting burned. I don't think I could leave my hand on it for a long time though too warm. Is this normal or does it sound like that might be too hot? I did sqeeze the hose in the rear and didn't notice any crunching.

Another ? Does anyone know how the water flows through the engine for cooling? I only see one hose that comes up from the rear and goes into the exhaust manifold. From the manifold does it go into the engine through the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the block or is there another hose that goes to the engine. After going through the engine I see a hose coming off of the top of the engine and T's off to the exhaust again and to the side of the hull where I see warm water coming out the side? Does this sound right or is there another hose somewhere that brings water to the engine? If the hose going into the Manifold is the only cooling water to the engine then is this where you put the flush kit fitting?

Comment

It's an engine, everything gets hot, it's fine. There are no more hoses, the cooling passages are internal.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The yamaha factory flush kit for the 701 Wave Venture is MWV-FLUSH-KIT-03, but the aftermarket kits probably work pretty much the same way. The fitting for the flush kit should fit in back of the cylinder head, slightly to the left of the hex bolt with #6 stamped by it. You should have a tapped opening about an inch down from the top of the hump on the casting. The kit consist of a brass fitting which screws in the opening, along with an 8" section of hose and an adapter for the hose to be attached for flushing.

I don't know how much experience you have with PWC's, but if you've never flushed out an engine before, be sure to start the engine first, then turn on the water to flush the engine, after your done flushing, turn off the water and then shut off the engine. Otherwise water could back flow though the muffler housing into your crankcase, which will damage the engine.

Comment

I also am having a similar problem with my 96 waveventure. It has overheated and split two exhaust hoses. I disassembled the muffler2 and checked all passages for sand ect. I have cleared all the hoses. The water coming out of the pee outlet is pretty hot but not scalding. I can touch the water box (water lock compartment) but not keep my hand on it. Is this normal. Also can anyone tell me how much water if any is suppose to go through the two rubber hoses and the water box. I removed the rear hose and noticed the water box is full of water and must have to push the excess over the last hose to escape is this normal? Thanks for any help out there, ronbo

Comment

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X