Ultra 150 Sucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra 150 Sucker

I recently purchased a 2001 Ultra 150 from some friends of the family. It had been sitting in a garage for 2 years without being run. They advised us all that was wrong was the battery needed replacing. After we replaced the battery, it would still not start. Turns out the starter was fried!! We replaced the starter, and then it would still not start. After taking off the spark plugs we noticed brown goo coming out of each one of the jugs. After removing the jugs, we found water in each one. Do you think we have a gasket problem, or maybe a thrown bearing? The piston in jug 1, did have a little give. Thanks for any help!!
    Rob

Re: Ultra 150 Sucker

You got taken. You need a new engine, and need to rebuild the fuel pump and all three carbs to start.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

That's what I figuered. Do you know why that might have happened? Do you think they ran it low on oil, or just plain ran it hot?
      Rob

Comment

I have no clue what happened, it could be anything. If there was water in the engine however, they eaither sunk it, ran the hose without the engine or some other stupid thing like that. Until you get the engine out and disassembled however, no one can guess if anythign else is wrong.

I don't suppose you can return this thing huh?

Comment

Bear with me, as am I new to this and I am not a mechanic. Are you saying that if you run water through the hose attachment without the engine runnig, that water will get into the jugs? I am new to this and have no idea what I am doing!! Once again thanks for all of your patience and help. And no, I can not return it. Should have know better than to by something from friends!!!
          Rob

Comment

Correct - if the engine is not running and the hose is, the engine floods with water. It's in all the Owner's Manuals :)

Comment

I don't have the owners manual. So, if we had put a little bit of water down the hose attachment, then that might have been why there was brown goo coming out of each jug. The only jug that really had a lot of brown goo was jug 1. So, then if we let the hose run for about 30-45 seconds before we tried to start it, would that have been long enough to flood it?
              Rob

Comment

Oh yeah.

Comment

So, theoretically we could dry everything off real good, and re-lube everything, replace the gaskets and maybe be okay?

Rob

Comment

No. If water gets in an engine it needs to be started immediately then run hard to purge the moisture. If you let it sit, it's done. Watch the Ride Right Video on water swamping an engine.

Comment

This was last night. Say we did go ahead and put it back together right now, do you think we have a chance?
                      Rob

Comment

If you can get it started and get out on the water now, yes.

Comment

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are drying it right now as we speak!!!!! Do you have any idea why the starter would have burnt up? I hate to keep bothering you, just let me know if I am asking too much!!!
                          Rob

Comment

Could have been a bad starter, could have been from someone boosting it, water corrosion, etc. - lots of reasons.

Comment

What is boosting? There is some corrosion on the brackets where you attach the motor to the mounts. By the way, when we removed the jugs, we could not find any scaring anywhere. The only upgrade that the first owner did was to replace the improwler. Could there be a seal problem that would let water in?
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X