1999 GSX Rectifier \ Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 GSX Rectifier \ Stator

I've tried to find the answer to my question in other threads, but can't find anything exact to my needs.

My 1999 GSX started giving a 12 V low error. After cutting the ski off it would not restart. I trickle charged the battery overnight and after running for a while it began giving the same error message. I took the battery out and had it checked at a local battery shop and they said it was fine, but low on charge. I figure I must have a problem that is causing the battery to discharge when in use.

From reading other posts I learned that earlier sea doos had problems which caused the ski to give a 12 Volt Low message in error. Mine is a 1999 and supposedly this is not an issue. I read that the Rectifier \ Stator might be causing this. ( the battery shop actually mentioned the stator) I do not know if they are the same thing or different parts. I'm by no means a mechanic, but was wondering if I could check this and if it was a part that is easily replaced. I'm trying to save a drive to the nearest repair shop that is about 1 hr away. If not overly expensive I would replace it to start with instead of maiking the 2 hr drive to see if it solved the problem. If so. what is a good online parts house.

Thanks for any info. you can give.

Hamp Lindsey

Re: 1999 GSX Rectifier \ Stator

To test for a rectifier problem start the ski then see what your battery is giving it should be over 13 but under 15

Comment

I assume I check the voltage by attaching a volt meter to the battery while the ski is running to see the reading.

can I keep the ski running out of water long enough to check this or is there a way to get water to ski whileout of water?

Comment

you can put it on the flush hose and yes you need to check it while running you can do it without hurting it without the flush kit just make sure that when you run it on the flush kit you do it in the correct order.

turn on engine, turn on water, turn off water, turn off engine.

Comment

Previously you gave me advice on checking a Low 12 V error. I found the battery was good (had it checked at a local battery shop). I found that when I started the ski that the voltage dropped from 12.49 volts to 12.09 volts. I did not run it long to see how much it would drop, but I know it did not go above 13 Volts.

I would like to first change the rectifier to see if this solves the problem. Is this a reasonable task on a 1999 GSX? I'm reasonably mechanical, but would only attempt if it is located in a somewhat asscessible spot and not to technical.

Any advice?

Thanks,
          Hamp Lindsey

Comment

I believe you are SOL as it is part of the MPEM. There is no seperate rectifier on that model. On those models, we test the stator first just to be sure it is not the stator before we spend the big bucks on the MPEM.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Does anyone know for sure if the rectifior can be replaced seperaetly or is it part of the MPEM on a 1999 GSX/RFI. I went to an online parts supplier and they have a cost for it listed seperately? This may be more than I should try, but I would like to replace it if possible.

Comment

Im not sure on that model but I will say that Bill Oneal told you NOT that he thought but that it was not seperate so I would take that to the bank and deposit it as for sure it is part of the MPEM and test the stator before buying other parts

Comment

Oh it is an RFI? In that case maybe it is seperate. Check the microfich at Ronnies or the dealership nearest you.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

there you go added info gets the right answer.

Comment

Working...
                    X