Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP engine swap

Hello,
    As a new member here on this board, I'm hoping to get a little help and suggestions. I'm in MIssissippi, and there's not a SeaDoo shop anywhere nearby.....This past week I made a sight-unseen swap of my bass boat for a used (salt water) 96 XP that was 1,000 miles away, in Va. Beach, Va. MY son bought the ski to trade to me in exchange for my boat. He rode the ski there in Va. on several occasions after purchasing it (over a period of 3 or 4 weeks). The last time he rode , the ski died on the water, and wouldn't restsrt. He thought it was a battery charging issue so he recharged the battery, and the ski cranked right up. He didn't ride it again to test. Last week I pulled the bass boat 1,000 miles to Va. and brought the ski back here to Mississippi without taking to the water first. Yesterday I put it in the water for the first time. First I started it up on the trailer and let it run for a few (maybe 20) seconds, then shut it down and launched. Got on the ski, idled about 20 feet and opened her up, only to have it start bogging and then it died, 60 ft. from where I started. Starter wouldn't spin it over...just a "thunk - thunk" when depressing the start button. I brought it home, removed the plugs, and finally got it to turn over, but am hearing a lot of engine noise now. It will crank, but sounds really rough.....I'm thinking that I have a siezed piston or lower bearing failure, maybe.....I don't know....
    I have here at my home a 1997 SPX (fresh water only)with less than 60 hours on the ski, but with a bad hull. The engines are the same, so I"m planning to do a swap. The 97 engine has not been cranked in 4 years, but I checked this morning and I can turn the flywheel with my hand so it should be ok. I ordered a service manual on CD which has not arrived yet, but I'm trying to get a head start on the swap. I have the pump assy. off the 97 SPX, but can't seem to get the drive shaft to pull out of it. Does this driveshaft simply pull out, or am I missing something there?
    Also, I noticed that the 97 SPX oil tank had green/blue colored oil in it and the SEadoo synthetic oil in the 96 was light golden brown. Is the Seadoo mineral oil colored, or has this individual been running a non-reccomended oil in the motor I'm about to put into my ski????
    I'm sure , as this swap progresses, I'll have more questions, but for now this will do.....thanks in advance for all the help.....yelloseadoo

Re: 96 XP engine swap

Inside of the hull behind the motor look for a shiney stainless steel seal collar. You will need to slide it back on the driveshaft to remove the circlip that keeps the driveshaft form moving rearward and out of the hull. This needed to be done before you removed the pump, as the impellor holds the driveshaft forward so you can pull the sleeve back to expose the circlip on the driveshaft.

The Brown oil is the newer Sea Doo Synthetic oil. Very good oil.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
    X