Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

NADA says it's worth $4,830 to $5,815 with the trailer (but in good working order).

I agree with skraggy. At $1,500, you have a pretty good margin of safety - even after replacing the impeller and replacing/rebuilding the motor.

If the hull's in good shape, I'd go for it.
    "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Almost sounds like riva's stage I kit, but I thought that kit also included heads, check to see if stock heads are there or if it's something aftermarket. I don't believe SBT will swap motors if the original has aftermarket heads or case porting so check into that.

Also doe sthe previous owner have the original exhaust components?

If your goal is having a stock boat then you will need to replce those parts that are aftermarket. If not, then call Riva technical support and see what you need to do to compensate for the air cleaner and exhaust pipe, likely some jetting will be needed.

Disconnecting the buzzer is bad, espacially since the exhaust chip was only $40 last time I looked.

If there is stuff fused to the plug's electrode, then likely the engine got too hot and started burning aluminum.
      James
      1997 gp1200
      2000 gp1200r

Comment

Good suggestion on the Riva Stage 1 kit, and I'll check that out right away. I think I'll go for it at $1,500, if it's still there tomorrow. I'm going to need some help with pulling the powervalve (I still think that it's at the root of the problem), so I'd appreciate any help when it comes to that. Happy 4th, and thanks to all veterans...it wasn't for nothing after all.

Comment

Wow, got the deal struck at $1,500 and I pick it up Monday. Now I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with...
          • What's the best shop manual for the 2000 GP1200R? About all I see is the Yamaha shop manual for about $55. Any other suggestions?
          • Anyone know of an inexpensive borescope so I can look into the #3 cylinder before tearing it down? Might be prudent to look around before twisting on bolts. Thanks..

Comment

I got my GPR service manual from Rivayamaha.com ... I don't remember how expensive it was but I'm very glad I bought it.

As for the bore scope, I don't think you should bother with that unless you are looking for an excuse to spend money on tools -- just take off the head and look. If bolts are going to snap, then they will snap regardless of what you know about the motor. Using a scope might help avoid work if you are not sure about the engine's condition, but from what you've described it sounds to me like the engine is toast, so just start taking it apart.
            James
            1997 gp1200
            2000 gp1200r

Comment

The *best* manual will be the OEM manual, no doubt about that. Correct specs, etc.

Next I guess would be a clymers.

Comment

Went to the local powersports shop, which is a Yamaha dealer. They ordered the OEM service manual for $43, so that's done. Didn't find a Clymer's for this year, I suspect it's not out yet.

Next step is to get the boat home and open up the #3 cylinder, "to see what I can see". Hope there's not too much damage..

Comment

oil lines come off on that model...don't they?

Comment

Waverunner 1, Steve 0

Got the boat home this morning and started looking it over. It's all there, and nothing seemed out of place. There was a cheesy bilge pump installation and wires helter-skelter, but that's an easy fix. The aft pipe damener was broken, but another easy fix.

Spark plug #1 and #2 looked normal. #3 looked too clean to have been firing, so I suspected something other than the powervalve (read on).

Opened up the #3 powervalve and it looked good. Took it apart and it's all there and doesn't show signs of dropping into the cylinder. Shining a light into the cyliner through the powervalve opening, there doesn't appear to be any fresh dings in the top of the piston. Put it back together.

Took out the plugs and got ready for a compression check. Why don't other manufacturers copy Sea-Doo and put grounding lugs for the plugs? It's such a simple device and really takes the worry out of compression checks. Burned a CDI on a Yamaha once...

#1 cylinder has 130+ pounds, as does #2. #3 cylinder has only 30 pounds, so it won't be an easy fix after all.

I guess my next move is to pull the cylinder head cover off and look inside, then continue by pulling the #3 cylinder. Unless someone has a better idea...

Comment

sounds like a simple well not simple but just top end work and at the price you got needing only that is a great deal you got. good luck.

Comment

Well, here's the damage and the pictures. Took off the cylinder cover and looked inside. The cylinder cover looks OK for #1 and #2, but #3 is so clean you'd think it never ran. What took the carbon out, water?

The piston is obviously melted in places, and the cylinder wall has aluminum deposited on it. Again, it's so clean I'm wondering if it's water that did the damage. But then again, that wouldn't account for it getting hot enough to melt.

OK, diagnosticians, I need some help here...suggestions for what's next?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Bite the bullet and do it right. These had some crankshaft main bearing issues on the earlier models as well as powervalve issues. Replace the crank with an SBT unit. You can have all of the cylinders re-plated for about 400.00. Aftermarket or the latest Yamaha powervalves, a WSM platinum top-end kit,Boyesen power reeds,the head can be repaired or replaced.Plated cylinders will outperform sleeved ones and not much difference in $. LANGCOURT is an excellent cylinder plating and repiar company. Send them w the new pistons and they will come back plated and sized to each cylinder/piston and they are better than OEM.Just did my own '02 xlt1200 (same engine) runs better than ever and SMOOOTH. Solas YF-CD 12/18 ,Riva YSSS removal kit,Riva flamearrestors, drilled EPA plugs in carbs to properly adjust,Cat removal plate & probe,Riva anti-cavitation cone,Removal of oil pump assy to Pre-Mix.Your buying price should allow you to do the whole thing right and only have to mess w/it once ,you wont be disappointed.Remember you said this was a 2000 model,right? That is the first generation powervalves, you MUST change them or the WILL fail ,causing catastrophic engine damage. Best of luck,Rick.
                          YoSA "Best Yamaha Dealer in the Lone Star State"

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and I'll do it right for sure. Man, the damage is even worse after taking off the jug. Not only is the skirt GONE, but there's metal in the bearing area, too. Sheesh...

But hey, I could always take it to the monthly auction. It'd bring most of my money back. Oh, OK, for now I'll stay the course and see what others say. I can't even fathom the first step, other than to keep tearing it apart to get the engine removed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wish you were in Texas, give ya your 1500.00 back now as thats a fixer. Have seen this same thing MANY times. Between SBT and some others could make her run better than ever.These really aren't that hard to work on considering how much there is to them in that small space. If you have'nt ridden one of these do so ,you'll fix it! They really are very good units overall. Properly prepped and tuned ,hard to catch!
                              YoSA "Best Yamaha Dealer in the Lone Star State"

Comment

I think Bill O'Neill has had some unfavorable experiences with WSM pistons, so you might want to do a seach and read what he has had to say. Good luck.
                                "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Working...
                                X