Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

Do you think I can get by with a top rebuild, cylinder exchange? Or is the bottom end likely to be bad?

Comment

If you already stated that you saw evidence of metal in the lower end...I wouldnt chance the top-end rebuild.Although it doesnt look all that bad(just the one cylinder),it needs a complete rebuild.Might as well stick aith the original plan and get a rebuilt from SBT.At least that way you can ride and not worry whats happening inside the motor....and have a warranty.As ks mentioned...you will be happy with the power of this machine.$1499. for the 1-year warranty.....$1799 for the 2-year warranty.You will spend about the same if not more rebuilding it yourself...and you get no warranty.

Good luck with your decisions...
      Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

What do you think about this? Taking a chance that the bottom end is OK, do I unhinge the piston by removing the wrist pin, then send the cylinder and piston off for a rebuild? It would seem like a $200 bet on the bottom end being OK. Thoughts?

Comment

If your crank blows and throws a rod thru the case its a $4000.00 bet.

Comment

Originally posted by kscycler
            What do you think about this? Taking a chance that the bottom end is OK, do I unhinge the piston by removing the wrist pin, then send the cylinder and piston off for a rebuild? It would seem like a $200 bet on the bottom end being OK. Thoughts?
            I would bet the lower end is NOT good, especially after all that metal in there.

Just box it up and get a SBT--by far easier than rebuilding yourself and I bet you save money. Doing this will also fix the other problems you do not know about yet but will only after sinking money into that boat anchor engine.

After that just walk through the fuel and ignition systems for operation and cleanliness, get a new impeller and check the rest of the pump (seal kit too) and you should be off with almost new ski like reliability.

I WISH I could find a deal like that!

Comment

This may be the clincher. I thought I'd try to see what got deposited inside the engine, so I fired up my shop vacuum. I used a small vinyl hose with a piece of T-shirt to trap whatever it sucked up. I probed the bottom of the #3 cylinder for a while, then washed out the T-shirt to get the oil out. Here's what I found.

It looks like sand. Yes, there are flakes of aluminum which are no doubt the piston skirt, but where did sand come from? I could be wrong, so I'd like anyone's opinion...
              Attached Files

Comment

Im not sure what that is....But it doesnt look good if that came out of the motor.Metal or sand will destroy bearings.

Comment

Uncle Buck I dont think Bills problem is with WSM as much as just not buying Wiseco pistons for a rec rider he says that they just arent needed for that prupose and would prefer SBT or some other type to racing pistons.

Comment

That bottom end is trashed. Forget using it, drop the idea entirely ;)

You're two options right now are SBT drop in, or crank rebuild + top end kit.

Don't skimp on it.

I did exactly what you did with much less damage (only a holed piston) and a very clean bottom end. After about 30 hours my engine grenaded; I got lucky my casing was OK.

I replaced the motor with an SBT unit and was done with it.

Comment

I don't mean to be argumentative, but here's a quote from Feb. 22, 2001:

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal
                      This is typical of WSM pistons. The trash can is the best place to install the WSM pistons.
                      You are not the first, and won't be the last guy who has this problem. They refuse to reconize this as a problem, and for that reason, I will not deal with WSM.
                      The thread is: http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...&highlight=WSM

I agree with javiert99 and the others. A lot of guys try to save money by rebuilding just the top end in situations like this. It's false economy. With metal particles in the bottom end, it's a matter of when, not if, there's going to be a catastrophic failure.
                      Last edited by uncle-buck; 07-13-2005, 05:53 PM. Reason: add comment
                      "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Uncle Buck dont worry about it I never saw that post it is over 4 years old I was going on what he had said recently about pistons and rec riders vs racers ie wiseco pistons.

Comment

Peace, got it, OK, buy in, on board, (George Bush "W") "nah gon'a do it", won't buy Siezco pistons, for sure. But, BUT, but, bucking the trend, I'm going to order a SBT piston kit and send the cylinder off to Langcourt for rebuild, install it in the motor and give it a go. All you naysayers can have your day, and I'm willing to be educated, but think about this...if I get 20 hours or 30 hours before it blows, that's at least a year or two of service for $300 bucks of work. Yes, I agree, if I was racing across America or worried about getting stranded with one boat, I shoud (and prudence being a good guide, ought to heed my own advice) rebuild the thing appropriately. But life is short, I have 6 skis, so watch me flame and burn as I try to save it. I promise to record the outcome, but I'm willing to try. Wish me luck or shake your head, I'm gonna try....

Comment

Good luck and I hope you get the 20-30 hours out of it that you are expecting.

I dont work for SBT,nor do I get anything from them for recomending thier product....just trying to lead you in the right direction.

Comment

Cycler, looks like you are jumping in with both feet now!!! :emoticonc Welcome to rebuild world... It is an addiction. I know you are working the Yama now, and sorry I dont have any parts to help you on that. But if you are looking for some more parts for the other skis, let me know. I am getting ready to part out some more skis so I will have a bunch of parts again.

P.S. I still cant find you a cap for the Kawa... I looked but cant find one that would fit anywhere...

Comment

Taz,
                                I wondered what happended to you, as I haven't heard from you in a while. Thanks for looking for the JS300SX oil cap, but it's REALLY hard to find. I've sent a lot of inquiries out, but no one has one. Oh well, I have the hole covered up with a Lunchables wrapper (they don't break down in oil, are really thick, and you can screw the cap over them without tearing them. Thanks to my 7-year old for that suggestion. He was just standing there, eating his Lunchables, and said, "Here, try this.")

If you're out in east Wichita, stop by for a look at the Waverunner (and the rest of the "fleet"). I'm gonna save it, I will....

Comment

Working...
                                X