Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sittin' by the side of the road...worth?

No, the 1200Rs are 32:1. Per the manual you mix the tank 50:1 during breakin
    that equals 20:1 during breakin

See this
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunn...4/0/specs.aspx

Comment

Well, I didn't have to swim! :emoticonc

Took the boat to the lake, tied it up to the dock and fired her up. Started right up and I decided to let the boat idle. Pulled the oil pump cable but it didn't have an appreciable effect on smoke output. There was a good bit of smoke, probably thanks to the 40:1 premix I put in.

After about 10 minutes, I put on my vest and idled past the "no wake" buoys. Decided 3,000 rpm was a good limit in the short run, so I puttered around for about 15 minutes at 16 mph. So far, so good. Went back to the dock to look/see if everything looked OK. Motor wasn't that hot, everything fine. Drank a soda.

Back out on the water, now to 4,000 rpm for about 20 minutes. Everything fine, motor sounded good, but not a lot of smoke (I'm thinking the oil pump is not working and that's at the root of it all). Ran at 23 mph a time or two, just cruising around. Back to the dock for a look/see. Motor not that hot, exhaust not that hot, all looks OK.

Back out on the water again, at 4,000 rpm for about 20 minutes. Opened the throttle, just once. I love Yamahas! Went to 51 mph before I could regain my balance and get off the throttle. Man, my 91 Sea-Doo GT won't do that, for sure. Motor sounded a bit rough, but smoothed out. Back to 4,000 rpm for the rest of the 20 minutes, everything seemed fine.

Back at home, I looked at the oil tank. I guess I burned about 4 gallons of gas, but see no appreciable lowering of the oil level. Still don't think the oil pump is working. Glad I ordered the block off plate. Not glad that I ran 40:1 now that I know 32:1 was the target. Hope I didn't damage something.

Pulled the plugs. They are dry, dry, dry. And starting out, they were pretty fouled from all the oil I put in during the initial start process. So now I'm really thinking that the oil pump is no good, because if it was they'd be fouled, right? (40:1 and the oil pump = lots of oil?).

So my next move is to either drain the tank or increase the oil to get a 32:1 mix and wait for the blockoff plate to arrive. Ordered new plugs, too, so I can do a mixture test. Anything else I should do? Thanks to all for all the suggestions. Even if the motor blows tomorrow, today was worth it!
      Last edited by kscycler; 07-29-2005, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Took the boat out Sunday and ran the P^*ss out of it. Couldn't help it and the boat did just fine. I'm running 20:1 premix to make sure things are getting oiled on the new cylinder. However, it does appear that the oil tank is emptying, so maybe the pump is working after all. By the end of the day, 8 gallons later, I pulled the plugs. Glory be, the plugs are a'fouling, so I guess things are getting oiled. After a few more gallons, I'll back off on the oil and maybe it'll start better. Is that why folks put on priming kits?

But, but, before I went out Sunday, I decided to take a look at the front two powervalves. Skiiers intuition, I guess, but I went through the process of taking it all apart. Guess what I found in #2 cylinder? Yep, powervalve had lost its' pin. See picture. Put it back in and then put it all back together. Guess I need waveeaters, yes?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kscycler
          Took the boat out Sunday and ran the P^*ss out of it. Couldn't help it and the boat did just fine. I'm running 20:1 premix to make sure things are getting oiled on the new cylinder. However, it does appear that the oil tank is emptying, so maybe the pump is working after all. By the end of the day, 8 gallons later, I pulled the plugs. Glory be, the plugs are a'fouling, so I guess things are getting oiled. After a few more gallons, I'll back off on the oil and maybe it'll start better. Is that why folks put on priming kits?

But, but, before I went out Sunday, I decided to take a look at the front two powervalves. Skiiers intuition, I guess, but I went through the process of taking it all apart. Guess what I found in #2 cylinder? Yep, powervalve had lost its' pin. See picture. Put it back in and then put it all back together. Guess I need waveeaters, yes?
          YIKES! Guess I will pull mine apart this week since i cant go boating for 2 weeks. My gpr starts great, sitting for a week i can usually start it without choking it and it fires after just a few secs.

B

Comment

n/m

Comment

Working...
            X