2001 kawasaki ultra 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 kawasaki ultra 150

hello guys im here today to obtain some help or info .
    i own a 2001 kawasaki ultra 150. it runs great since i got it a year ago i have used it about 5 or 6 hours total since then. flipped it the first time and me being a begginer i let it sit a few hours . i had the sense to take it to the jet ski rental guy around the corner from the bay . he charged me two fifty and took the plugs out some starting fluid and got the water out little by little but it works great since then . now the problems i have are always different first we were at a salted lake and after a few hours it started to over heat and will run but will start to blow smoke from impeller and water blowout on the side . i let it cool off and realised smoke was coming out of the engine compartment the wires running from the speed sensor on the left rear was frying i emmidietly poured water on it to cool them of and then unplugged it from the main harness . now i i repaired the burnt wires and the speedometer on the cluster does not work anymore . still runs great and now recently these last few times i have been riding it. seems to always get something stuck in the propt is this normal on this type of ski . and what upgrades would any of you recommend thank you . please go easy i am a begginer with a jet ski , thank you
    Last edited by ultraman; 06-28-2005, 02:20 AM. Reason: ultra 150 problems

Re: 2001 kawasaki ultra 150

Well it sounds like first you may have a clog somewhere in the cooling system. I'm guessing you didn't flush it after riding in salt water. If it is not showing an over heating sign I would say you have passed it through the system. To be safe I would start it on the hose before you ride next time. If you don't know how to do it post back before you try. When it is running on the hose you will want to look for 5 things. Water coming out of the pisser on the front port side, water coming out of the exhaust outlet, water coming back out of the pump, and water coming out of 3 pissers located above the pump. Water should be flowing steadily out of all of the 5 location I said.

You said smoke was coming out of the engine compartment. I am guessing sence it was overheated the rubber hose that connects the stinger to the waterbox has a hole in it. You will want to check it before you ride again, if there is a hole you will lose performance and it could case the engine to stall and not start again.

If lots of different things are getting stuck in the prop I would check the intake grate. The best way to do this is to get under the ski and look back up into the pump, you should be able to see through the intake grate and see the front of the impeller. If you see quite a few nicks I would think about getting a new prop and having the pump inspected and blueprinted.

As far as mods, there are many avaliable for the Ultra. I would make sure everything is working reliably before modding anything. If everything isn't working you will just cause more problems and head aches by changin out parts. The 1200 engine is very very reliable if you take good care of it always prep before riding in salt and wash and flush everything when done. Good luck and post any questions you still have!
    Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
    2002-1100STX DI
    2004-15F
    2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

thank you for the help fast ultra . yes i have flushed it carefully and the pissers the only one i can see its on the right hand side there is one on the left but i never noticed it blowing water . i removed the propt yesterday there was 8 feet of some wire twisted up in there it must have came upon the last time i rode . i removed it. and once again i flushed for a piece of mind . my only concerns are what are the basic routines for service .can i do it myself or should i send it to my local service center . what fluids do i change and i am only considering changing the propt at the moment . and the only one thing that i dont see working now is my speedometer , but i should probably replace the sensor on the rear before i ask for any more help that was the wiring that was fried when it heated up . thank you for your help i appreciate it guys :emoticonb

Comment

The pisser on the left side is just a drain from the hood. The other 3 I was refering to are above the pump, they look like bolts. Next Time you have it running on the hose look above the pump and below the rear deck. If a hole was burned in the exhaust one either was, or still could be clogged partly.

If you have basic tools and basic mechanical knowledge I would recommend you pick up a service mannual from buykawasaki.com They are $60 but it will walk you through everystep you need to do just about an repair needed. I never take my skis to the dealer. Even though I have never had a problem with my Ultra, I still use the service mannual all the time in removing and reinstalling parts. If you are going to start modding your ski you will need a service manual to do it correctly. You can always check ebay for them too. Any year manual will work.
        Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
        2002-1100STX DI
        2004-15F
        2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Working...
        X