Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 raider 701 bent shaft, broke coupler question

Hey,
    i have a 95 raider 701 (62t motor) I was at lake, it was flat , was riding wide open, heard some weird noises,(like when boat out of water, and hitting the gas) then whamo, like it popped in neutral, no more go. checked things out, the coupler on the crank side, broke in pieces, the shaft side coupler not broke, BUT i manually turned shaft, noticed it was bent, easily noticable when i rotate it. So what do you think ill need to change? does that shaft go all the way back to impellar? (one slong shaft?) what are the odds thats all i bent or broke from that shaft back? i plan on getting the hard aftermarket couplers now, but that shaft is $$ anyone know where to get used one? whats that shaft called?(how to order?) and is this gonna be a somewhat easy install? special tools needed? or pretty major?

by the way, anyone know of quality,trustworthy shop in the chicagoland area if i take it in?

thanks alot

Rob

Re: 95 raider 701 bent shaft, broke coupler question

It sounds like the intermediate shaft - which is the shaft between the coupler and the drive shaft. I've never replaced one, but there are guys on the forum who have and can give you some guidance.

For used parts, you can check the list of PWC salvage yards at: http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=17795

Good luck.
    "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Did the motor mounts break causing this?

Comment

SBT also has all the parts that you will need to fix this.Check out the pump repair parts section in the products catalog from home page.

Like David mentioned...check your motor mounts.This could have actually been caused from a couple different things.Bad PTO bearing,misallignment of coupler,worn coupler insert,etc...Also make sure that the crankshaft side of the coupler is still true,if not,that will need be replaced as well.I would assume that one of the above caused the coupler to break,causing this whole incident.

To do the repair,you will most likely have to pull either the motor(move it forward if room allows),or the pump assembly...not sure on your model.
        Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Hey,

No, the motor mounts didnt break,or move that i can tell. But i agree that may have been the problem, i had the motor out, and put it back in last year, and only had about 10-12hrs on ski since, so maybe i didnt have it aligned perfect, and it just took a little time before it broke? or would it have broke immediatly?
          The crank side coupler is in pieces, so i will be replacing that, would the shaft on that side be bent also? HOw would you reccomend aligning motor when i put it back in? i used spray paint on mounts,shims, and then when putting motor back in tried lining it up like that. whats the best way to do it?

pulling the motor is no big deal, if the motor is pulled, can i then remove the intermediate shaft? or do i still have to pull apart more stuff? how does that shaft come out? and how do i get coupler off crank side?

thanks again guys !

Comment

hey rob, just wanted to let you know ive got the intermeid. shavt and couplings if you need. out of a 94 raider. its a parts ski now so let me know good luck scott>

Comment

Working...
            X