Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 kawasaki 900 zxi electrical problem- wont power up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 kawasaki 900 zxi electrical problem- wont power up!

I just purchased 2 identical 900 zxi's, one runs normal and is in good condition but the other ski will not start or shall i say will not power up. I have interchanged the complete electrical box (inclds. starter relay,coils,cdi ignitor, etc.) from the good ski to the bad one and still no power to the system, in addition to installing a new battery, I have interchanged the starter motor, orange magneto key switch and starter button on handle bar, but still no power. fuses are fine (brought the whole electrical box from good ski to bad ski), only thing that i have not interchanged is the wiring harness, can anyone please tell me what else to check or what could be the problem. at this point i would be happy to see the indicator light go on or at best, the starter to crank. oh yeah, i cleaned the ground contacts as well. what could be causing this ski to not power up? please help!:emoticonb

Re: 1996 kawasaki 900 zxi electrical problem- wont power up!

If you dont have a wiring diagram I usually start at the switch and start stop button and see if you have continuity to the computer box. also check to see if a plug connector is disconnected and or corroded.

Comment

I had A same problem with my ski. There ended up being no problems with any part. if you look at the front of the grey electrical box there are to sets of wires coming in one is the stator and the on off electrical wire. the problem was the connector was not making a good connection. the connector it self did not look bad but it was. i do not know if this is your problem or not but the symptoms were the same.:)

Comment

Originally posted by brad2510
        I had A same problem with my ski. There ended up being no problems with any part. if you look at the front of the grey electrical box there are to sets of wires coming in one is the stator and the on off electrical wire. the problem was the connector was not making a good connection. the connector it self did not look bad but it was. i do not know if this is your problem or not but the symptoms were the same.:)
        thanks for your reply, my skiis problem is much more complicated, I mentioned that I interchanged almost all the electrical components(computer,orange magneto switch, handle bar ignition switch, gray electrical box and starter motor) from the good ski to the bad ski, when I placed all the components back into my good ski, it would not start (even with 12v power to the red wire on the on/off switch. after careful examination of the once good electrical box, something from the faulty ski caused the wires inside the good gray electrical box to melt. at this point there seems to be a problem with the wiring harness of the faulty jet ski. At the end,I was able to get the once operational ski back up and running. at this point i may just buy a brand new ski to replace the bad ski. parts are too costly and even if i could get that bad ski to start or power up, a compession test of the bad jet ski engine may be negative. 2005 kawasaki stx 15f or yamaha HO cruiser. which is better? mechanically, which is easier to work on or more dependable?

Comment

The wire that i am talking about is the wire that comes from the stator assembly, and goes th the grey box. that might be the reason that the good box no longer works in the good ski. Just trying to offer suggestions. Electrical Problems Are such a pain in the ***. They are so hard to pin down and find the real cause. As far as buying a new ski I am going to get rid of the zxi and get a yamaha gp 1300. First they are very reliable if they don't break who cares how easy it is to work on. the second thing it has going for it, also easy to work on. My friend that i ride a good bit with would not trade it for the world. good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X