Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gasket sealant entering cylinder .... is it bad????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gasket sealant entering cylinder .... is it bad????

Just put the triple carb rack on, and had a question. I put the gaskets on using the sealant/adhesive stuff that was recommended in the sbt manual. My question is this: when I put the carb rack on... the gasket sealer stuff oozed out a little in the main chambers of the carbs where the butterflies are. It created about a 1/8 inch lip of sealant stuff around the perimeter. I was wondering.... will this stuff just burn up if it gets into the cylinder? will it create any problems? Should i take it apart again and redo it? or will it matter at all?
    Last edited by ericfox; 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM.

Re: gasket sealant entering cylinder .... is it bad????

you shouldn't use any kind of RTV sealant on the carb bases gaskets only a coat of spray on high tack,typicaly red in color.I wouldn't leave it oozing into the carb throats.

Comment

Yeah I don't know what you used, but it is certainly NOT what I recommended in the guide. High-Tach is a spray that puts a light red coating on the gasket, there is nothing to ooze. NO RTV products go anywhere on an engine!
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

this is what i used on the gaskets on the reed cage and the carbs.... what do you think? sounds like it should be ok to me..... and the question about the oozing still stands.

Comment

The instructions say "High Tack Gasket Sealer" not "Super Adhesive Sealer". As I said, that is not what I recommended. It also comes in a spray can.

Please stop emailing me everytime you post, I'll answer you when I can.
          Attached Files

Comment

well.... super adhesive high-tach sealant is the kind i used. The kind I see now that you recommend is just regular high-tach adhesive sealant, and I apologize for saying you recommended the other, but is it going to make a difference? It sounds like pretty much the same type of product. Is there going to be a problem?

Comment

If you put so much on that it is oozing into the intake, yes. If you insist on using that you need to get it out of the intake.

Comment

You have given me good advice in the past so i have decided to change the gaskets and put new ones on with the other sealant.... thanks

Comment

good job man, take the time and do those things right, it'll pay off in the end :)

Comment

Working...
                  X