GTX Limited Power loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX Limited Power loss

We recently bought a 05 GTX limited that now has around 15 hours on it. It has ridden fine since break in. I had it out yesterday however, and noticed a power loss. I have not had the chance to look for anything, but i figured I would post to see what i should look for. It feels as though one of the cylinders isnt fireing or the supercharger isn't pulling. Im not sure, but it just isnt having the power it should, it will only get up to about 60 when normally it goes 70 and isn't getting there as fast. Could this be due to fouled plugs? What should i look for? When i was riding it, i was dipping it deep into the water doing a turn and then noticed the power loss, although i am not sure that is when it happened. Please any help i would appreciate, and thanks in advance.

Re: GTX Limited Power loss

That is a typical symptom of a failing blower drive clutch. '05 should be under warranty so have the dealer replace it.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I don't know much when it comes to jetskis, but the rpms werent reving up real high like a clutch is slipping when its going out on a car. It just didn't have the power to get up there. I don't know if this makes a difference of what your saying the problem is, I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem. Thank you for your help though.

Comment

Dumb question but why does the 'Doo supercharger have a clutch. Do automotive superchargers have a clutch?

Comment

A clutch in a car is connected to the drivetrain. The clutch in a supercharger is connected to the intake system and how it functions. If the supercharger clutch slips, the engine will not rev up properly, which is opposite of a car clutch, which allows the engine to rev up easily.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

Ahhh I see. Thank you for the help. Any chance this could just be the plugs?

Comment

To answer the question, why does the 'Doo supercharger have a clutch, you must understand that a watercraft has the very possible chance of injesting a big gulp of water into the intake system. Without a clutch, it would shear off the supercharger drive.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

I doubt it is the sparkplugs.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Okay, thank you for your help. One more thing if you will, is that somewhat common, even w/ it being that new? And is it something that just happens or is caused by the driver?

Comment

It happens alot. I don't know why.

But, you need to go see a dealership and have them diagnose your problem. The clutch is just one suggesstion, there are several other things that can be wrong with your ski.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Alright, i was just asking so that I could see if it is something they are going to cover or not for the warranty. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Will it hurt it anymore to drive it before i take it to the dealership. I mean its still running fine just not as fast and being the holiday weekend we had some people commin over. If it can't get any worse I would wait till next week to take it in.

Comment

I cannot answer that for you without knowing for sure what is wrong with your ski.

As a pwc professional, my advice is never run a ski that is not functioning correctly. Should damage occur, it could be very expensive.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

It won't hurt it, but it may get so bad you can't run it. The stock clutch design is faulty. They have updated it already, but they still fail. There is supposedly a Rotax Racing clutch pack that will work, but it's pretty much untested as of now, and it's very expensive, and it will void the warranty.
                            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I was going to say the same as TS you can run it right now but you may end up out in the middle of the lake broke down take it in see if they will loan you a ski but do not continue to run the machine and take the chance that you will be stuck looking for a ride back to shore. If you know something is wrong shut it down and find out what then fix it. It just isnt worth it to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X