96 XP Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 XP Carbs

I need help identifying my carbs. I recently rebuild a 96 XP engine and I am having problems with top end. The carbs were rebuilt replacements installed by a local shop last year in an attempt to get the ski running for the previous owner. I tore into the carbs this evening and from my manual it is supposed to have 140 main jets, these carbs have 135s. I want to make sure the carbs are even the right ones for this engine. I can't find any number except for a 252 and a staggered 153 on the flang on the diaphram side of the carbs. The jet sizes don't match any of the stock settings for any 96 sea doos so I am at a loss.

I measured the diameter of the carb bore on the manifold side and it is 40mm not 38 or 44 or 46.

Am I going to get luck and just need to put in the correct jets or am I going to have to change out my carbs.

Any Help would be great.

Woefully Jetted in MO
    Tony

Re: 96 XP Carbs

I just might have what you need here....have a completely stock pair of Mikunis that are on a 97 SPX (787 engine)...the ski has less than 60 hrs. on it, and has never been touched by a mechanic....only problem is that it hasn't been cranked in 4 yrs, and the carbs will need a good cleaning, I'm sure....If I find that I'm not going to use them, I'm gonna put 'em on Ebay, and will post a link here when I do, will know either way within the week, ....... Fred

Comment

You have the right carbs with the wrong jetting in them.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

An update. I measured remeasured the carb. The butterfly on the throttle side, not the choke. It is 38MM so I have a 38mm carb from a 95XP 720. My question is this. What jetting settings can I get by with on my 96xp 800 motor. I don't want to have to buy carbs right now. I realize I won't have as much power with the smaller carb?

Any advice?

Comment

I do not really have any advise on a setup like that, other than try what you have, but it may be necessary to open the adjusters a little more than normal. If it hesitates or in any way doesn't feel right after re-adjusting the needle valve adjusters, then step the jet size up by about 5 points on the lows and 10 points on the mains and try it again.

I can't even remember if the carb bolt pattern and spread betwwen those two differnt sets of carbs is the same? It might require different linkage between them.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

The carbs bolts and linkage line up and seem to be good. I suspect the 38s and the 40s are the same carb with just a different bore size. The motor runs with them on I was just having problems with the motor on the upper end. I am still working out gremlins after the engine rebuild.

Thanks for your responses.

Tony

Comment

Yse all 38-42mm SBN I Series Mikuni carb bodies are the same castings. The bore size varies.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

Working...
              X