1100 STX D I low RPM stall yr:2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 STX D I low RPM stall yr:2000

Ive got a kawi 1100 stx di (fuel injected) The engine runs fine over 1700-1900 rpm as soon as it goes below that speed it stops. I can run it for 20 - 30 minutes at top speed as soon as I slow down it just stops. will always start right up if I keep over 1800 or so. already replaced crank position sensor last fall. code fault is 16 which is for that sensor. checked voltage out put for injectors, right at 44.9 vdc alternator at 13.1 vdc
    thoughts???

Re: 1100 STX D I low RPM stall yr:2000

Did you check the EMM for any other stored codes? When was the last time you changed the plugs?
    2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

new SBT engine 2 running hrs ago (last August) 1st plug set fouled out during break in cleaned reset and reused . then completely replaced (@ 22.oo each) twice
      fault codes...... the only codes are 16 crank sensor and 17 just when the engine kills/ stalls (charging circuit output) thats it on codes. I erased the old codes from previous engine so I had a clean picture of whats new...
      I can still get the ski up to about 45-47 MPH and its peppy getting there but It doesn't seem to have the full high end power It should go at least 50-53 mph

Comment

Also .... I did check my compression and its about 112-116 on all three

Comment

Is your throttle cable adjusted correctly (i.e., not bottoming out on the stopper)?
          2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

its ok
            I start it and hold the revs above 2000 then I hold the throttle and release it slowly until it hits the stall rpm of 1500 so its not the cable

Comment

I just dropped an SBT engine into my DI and I'm having the same problems. Oil was added to the gas for the break in period and I thought that the plugs were fouled. I changed them today and still the same thing. Hasitation, cutting out, no top end speed..... good idling though. I used to hit 53+mph....lucky to get 48 now. I think it might be the injectors and fuel filter got gunked from the oil. I plan on running injector cleaner through the system tomorrow.
              Let me know if you have an idea what might be the problem.

Comment

try readajusting the TPS. Sounds like it is flooding out. If you don't have a service manual just post here me or someone else can walk you through it step by step.

Edit: Well after thinking the best way to check it is not how the service manual says. I don't have my ski with me now, but if someone else with a DI has a good running ski disconnect the TPS and use a multimeter to find out the resistance at Idle and WOT. The ignition switch doesn't have to be on.
                Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
                2002-1100STX DI
                2004-15F
                2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

any update on teh ski...was it the TPS?

Comment

wow that is the same problem I am having with mine. Only I did not add a brake in oil. At the time I bought my moter SBT was not recomending the added oil. So did you ever fix your ski. What was it?

Originally posted by lebastinian
                    I just dropped an SBT engine into my DI and I'm having the same problems. Oil was added to the gas for the break in period and I thought that the plugs were fouled. I changed them today and still the same thing. Hasitation, cutting out, no top end speed..... good idling though. I used to hit 53+mph....lucky to get 48 now. I think it might be the injectors and fuel filter got gunked from the oil. I plan on running injector cleaner through the system tomorrow.
                    Let me know if you have an idea what might be the problem.

Comment

I took the thing to all the trusted kawasaki dealers in town, and even the best one in town. There is nothing worng with any of the peripheral parts...everything was checked out and runs good. They said that the SBT engines have not performed well at all for this kind of ski. They have seen consitent issues with the one block 3 cylinder engines coming from SBT and that they don't recomemnd them at all from SBT. I have spend thousands of dollars trying to fix my ski and have not gotten any enjoyment out of it. SBT has sold me a lemon. I don't have any more money left to pay to switch the defective engine out with a new one and I don't know what to do at this point. It is definitly not the TPS that is malfunctioning. They replaced the computer and it didn't take care of the problem. I would appreciate any help or assistance. Thanks !

Comment

I would like to hear SBT's responce to this. I have spent the last 2 days looking at every responce involving the STXdi. and we are not alone. I do beleave that SBT builds a decent product, I beleave it is more of some sort of eletrical problem. Bose it have somthing to do with the paint and the block not getting a proper ground? This is a verry Zapp dependent toys and arrent volts can run gremblen it to the mix. I dont want to complain about my jet ski Ijust want to ride with all of the power that i can get:beer

Comment

I have used many three cylinder engine from SBT and have only had one failure on a two cylinder engine that had a cylinder problem. You should have scraped off the paint from any grounding points when you put the engine in.
                          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I thought I did but I gust have not found the problem yet. Im frustrated, but have not given up yet. When I first put the moter in comprestion was down around 110-115 lbs and i wanted to pull it out and send it back. but now around the 20 hour mark it is up at 135 on all 3. And I got it up to 53 mph for the first time after the new moter. It still is not lile it was but getting better.

Comment

Im still having problems with my STXdi it skips and misses I have not found the problem yet. I have bought the wiring to hook up to my lap top but the software that came with it is out of date dose anyone have a newer version 1.30?

Comment

Working...
                              X