1996 GTI Sea Doo lost power/ battery low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 GTI Sea Doo lost power/ battery low

New owner here. Last week my daughter and I were out riding. When I started the Sea Doo I had a low voltage light but it went off when we took off. Rode for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden I lost power and machine turned off. Couldn't get it to restart. On land we checked battery and it was 25% so put a charger on it and when it was charged tried again. Turned over but checked the battery and it was down to 50%. Assumed bad battery. Got new one this week. Started up went out and same thing. New battery drained. The starter was really hot so my husband thought it had gone out. Someone suggested rectifier. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a rectifier problem when they had it and where it is located.

Re: 1996 GTI Sea Doo lost power/ battery low

Yes it sounds like a new rectifier is needed. It charges the battery when you ride the ski.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Do I find the rectifire in the electrical box? Is there a way to test it ro do you just replace it? Where do I purchase one? Thank you so much for your quick response.

Comment

Yes, it is in the electrical components box.
        You buy a recitifier at a Sea Doo Dealership.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Start the ski rev it to 500 rpm if the battery shows voltage below(oops not 9) 13 or above 15 then the rectifier is bad.
          Last edited by frankey01; 07-05-2005, 05:07 PM.

Comment

5000 rpm and it must be over 13.1 V and under 15V or the rectifier is probably shot.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

I am completely clueless to testing. We have a voltage tester can you step me through it. I need to start the engine. What selector do I use on the voltage testor and where do I put the prongs to test? My husband is a very handy man but the electonics of this machine have us baffled. Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Using a 12VDC testing device, place the red probe on the positive side of the battery and the black probe on the negative post of the battery. Read the guage.

Now, start the motor, rev to a steady 5000 rpm and read the guage again.

What do you see?
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

My testing device has an area that is marked DC V. I can turn the knob to 2, 20, 200 and 600. Which one would I set it on? Can I run the PWC out of water for the length of time it will take to test it without harm?

Comment

Those are different settings for setting the range of the meter. You are looking for values between 13.1 and 15 as bill posted, so set it to 20. Then read the scale on the meter for 0-20 accordingly.
                    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. We have to put the testing on hold due to other obligations. WE are going to test it this weekend when we can get it to water. I went ahead and ordered the rectifier though I've also been told they can test okay even when they are going out because they have pins that stick. I'll update you to let you know if it solved my problem. I have friends who have PWC and love them but I sure see alot of posting for problems. Do these things have alot of trouble or am I just experiencing a small set back? Not sure if I know what I got myself into.

Comment

I am fighting a similar issue try to help out a neighbor with their 1996 GTX. I think they charged it without disconnecting the battery and I think the rectifier is now bad. But we started with a new battery. When starting, we get 3 12 volt low flashes and then the light goes out. This is with a new battery. Now, I was expecting the Ski to run well with the new battery at least until the battery went down again. But it didn't. The RPMs are limitted to around 4000 and it is a dog. Shouldn't it run OK with the new battery for a while before the battery goes down. Now I am conerned that if I invest (their money) in the rectifier that it won't cure anything.

Thoughts?

Comment

If the GTI is like my 1998 GTX RFI the ski will reduce the RPM to 4480 RPM if the battery voltage reaches 8.9 volts for at least 30 seconds.

To check the rectifier bring thr RPM to 5500 and then measure the voltage at the battery. The voltage should be about 14.2Vdc. If the voltage is over 15Vdc the requlator is defective according to the SeaDoo Shop Manual.

You want to make sure that you have a fully charged battery before you star the test for best results. I also take the fully charged battery and have it load tested at the auto parts store to make sure that it is not the battery.

Comment

His 96 is quite a bit different to your RFI..

The 12v low is normal on most ski's when starting... It running at 4k though, is not normal. You say it's running like a dog.. real sputtery, maybe an occasional backfire?

I would say rectifier as well, it's a $60 part (cheaper than the new battery).

Other things i would check: Compression!!! Spark Plugs (new and gapped to .024), trim back the spark plug wires 1/4" and make sure there is plenty of FRESH gas. Also couldn't hurt to clean the raves.
                            Dan Solie -
                            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                            94 xp (freestyle mods)
                            95 xp (faster than the 94)
                            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thanks for providing the corrected informaiton. I guess the Regulator on my GTX RFI must be gold plated... Cost me $164.48 from a dealer in Houston. I was quoted as high as $190.00 from a dealer in the Clear Lake area.

Comment

Working...
                              X