'99 XL 1200 Exhaust Temp Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 XL 1200 Exhaust Temp Warning

I have started having trouble with my '99 1200 XLTD. After roughly 10 minutes of riding, I'll get an exhaust temp warning (consistently). The first time, and subsequently several other times, I ripped the seat off an frantically started feeling around. I was bewildered to find things (exhaust manifold, cold, exhaust body cool, cat. warm, cylinders cool at top, cold at bottom) cool to cold if anything. I ride in the puget sound which tends to be pretty cool, but I also get this warning in warmer lakes.

To date I have done the following:

- Put the garden hose to all connections to check for blocakages (running the motor when appropriate). In doing so, I have determined that the portside front coolant port appears to expell coolant from the motor, and starboard side front seems to expell exhaust coolant. No apparent blockages, however, during use, the flow from both appear to be intermitant and or reduced from the past - just doesn't seem to be "peeing" like it used to

- Removed the temperature probe and inspected. Probe appeared to be surprisingly clean, not abolutely clean of course, but cleaner than I would have expected.

Before I spend the $140 on exhast gaskets to take it appart and see if there is something blocking or constricting the flow, I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced anything similar and perhaps has a different potential cause, e.g. kinked or collapsed line, blockage at the pump, etc. I am hopeful that I will not need to pull the head and check the engine water jacket ... but that may be next.

Thanks,

Jim
Working...
X