got a rope caught up in intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: got a rope caught up in intake

the tow in is most likely where the water came in you need to get it completley out of water continue to crank itt ill you get as much water out as possible then put in new plugs and try to get it started keep trying with new plugs until you get it started once started you need to ride it for a good 30 minutes hard to get the moisture out of it. It will be okay to start it out of water but dont run it too long while it is out.
    BTW you probably dont have as much damage as you think it may just be the water in the engine which if taken care of now will be minimized.

Comment

So my guess was correct. Now. get it out of the water so you can work on it.
      Then, keep cranking until no water vapor comes out of the sparkplug holes. A battery charger connected to the ski helps in this step.

Using some gasoline as a primer, pour a little into each sparkplug hole and replace the clean and dry sparkplugs, and try to start the motor. If it locks up, you still have water in there and you need to start over.
      Eventually, you will get it started. The one I did yesterday took 45 minutes of removing replacing and priming to get it going again, and even then I was only able to use one sparkplug and I got it started on one clyinder, then after reving it up a bit, I was able to put both sparkplugs in the motor and get it running on two clyinders.

You probably would never get it started if you leave it in the water because of backpressures on the exhaust system from the outlet being submerged.

Once you get it running, rev the h out of it to suck all the water from the lower cases. Then because your ski is screwed up and you cannot ride it, fog the motor so it will not rust internally.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

ok, i will do that thursday, had to go to work tonight.

so how do i know that no more water will get into the engine ?

how did it get in there, the engine compartment had some water in it, but not much.

is the driveshaft messed up allowing the seal to leak maybe ?

or could it be that the rope allowed the water into the seal, and since its out now, it will be ok ?

thanks for everything, just had a few more questions.

Comment

it got in becasue you got towed in and probably didnt pay attention to the speed at which you got towed in and the water went right up to your exhaust and into the motor. You could have also done damage to the seal and it needs to be fixed you can check by putting water in the hull and seeing if it leaks. as far as waiting you need to do this as fast as posible and get it running before rust starts to set in on the bearings and you do have to replace your engine

Comment

Working...
          X