got a rope caught up in intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a rope caught up in intake

my wife was riding our 99 gsx and got a rope caught up in the intake.

she shut the ski down, right away, when i got out to the ski and took off the grate, the rope was wrapped around the shaft pretty tight.

i removed everything i could se, the shaft is now clear as well as the prop.]

i cant see any further up into the shaft area from the outside of the ski.

the problem, it wont start, just makes a clicking or clunking noise now, and the battery is brand new and i recharged it just to make sure.

one time trying to start it, it did sound like the starter was going to go, it turned about 3 times, but just keeps clicking.

is it possible there is more rope where i cant see, that would be making it not want to turn over and if so, how do i fix it??

thanks for any help

99 gsx

Re: got a rope caught up in intake

i do see where others have posted about a rope being sucked up, and see where it might be a bent shaft.

i was just wondering if there could be any other rope where i cant see, up near where the shaft goes into the ski, not near the rear of it where the prop is ?

Comment

One of two things probably happened.
      The impellor is still stuck with rope or debris around it or she burnt up the solenoid trying to start it.

Using a flashlight, you should be able to see anything in the pump if you look from both ends hard enough. Look closely at the rear of the impellor for something caught between the impellor and the pump vanes.

If she burnt up the solenoid, replace it. Make sure your battery is charged. Remove the sparkplugs and use the starter to see if maybe you flooded the motor with water when towing it back to shore if you did that.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

there is no rope around the impeller, but i did notice the engine area fills with water, while it is sitting with the drain plugs in now.

the starter and solenoid i believe are working properly, as it did turn over a couple of revolutions while trying to start it, most times just makes a clicking noise like its bound up.

could the shaft be bent enough to let in water and keep it from starting?

when i take out the shaft, will i beable to tell how bent it is ?

its still in water, as i have no way to get it to the dock. on my beach area.

Comment

You need to get that boat out of the water and get it started up. I think it is bound up allright, with water in the motor. It is called Hydrolocked. DO not try to start it again with the sparkplugs still in it. If I am right, you can do damage to it if it is hydrolocked.

If you do not fix it now, and it is full of water, you will be buying a new motor.

Once you have got it running, you can deal with the damage to the driveshaft and seal later. You will need to remove the pump and the driveshaft and seal and inspect all of those pieces. If the driveshaft is bent, you will notice it when you roll it across a flat surface.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

if it is leaking while sitting I would say you have mesed up the seal where the drive shaft goes into the hull I would get it out of the water and get it to the shop or you yourself can start working on replacing the seal and the driveshaft and possibly rebuilding your pump as you may have messed up the bearings there too.

Comment

ok, so even if the shaft is bent, it still should start ?

the shaft can't be bent enought to cause it not to turnover ?

Comment

probably not but if you have pump bearings that are frozen that will prevent it from being able to start the way for you to tell is to pull the pump and confirm it is the engine.

Comment

No I have never seen a bent shaft stop a motor from turning over. I think there is a good chance the motor is water flooded. I am about to post some pictures of a Sea Doo GTX that sucked up the tow line into the pump. You will not believe the damage to this ski. It is by far, the worst I have ever seen.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

ok, thanks for all the info.

im not sure where the pump is or how to get to it, guess i should go buy a repair manual.

thanks.

also, the engine gets flooded with water, and by removing the spark plugs, will release this water ??

Comment

trhe pump is on the very back of the ski where your steering nozzle is and where you impellor is at. Not to sound rude but the repair manual should have been purchased with the ski and I would honestly say you might want to consider taking it to the shop to have repaired.

Comment

remove you sparkplugs and crank the engine if it shoots out water then you have water in there and you need to get it out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and get to riding the ski if all else is okay to get the water off those crankshaft bearings.

Comment

okay, thanks, I am very mechanically inclined, i just havent worked on these much, i did fix the trim motor in another ski that i own.

i only have had this ski for a month, just wasnt sure where to start.

thanks a bunch.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the hull pump intake area right before the impellor of a 1999 GTXL that sucked up a rope. Besides cutting a 2-3 inch wide hole in the fiberglass in the upper portion of the hull intake tract, the motor was completely full of water when it arrived here yesterday afternoon.
                            Picture #1 is the rope.
                            # 2 is is the shot from where the pump was before I removed it.
                            #3 is the hole in the hull ( all of the white section is daylight.)
                            Click on the pictures for a bigger better view.
                            Attached Files
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

ok, i took out the plugs, and there was water in it, i hit start, and water came shooting out, engine starter turned over normally without the plugs in. i put the plugs back in, and clicks again, wont turn over.

how do i stop the water from getting back in again, do i need to get it out of the water, then pull the plugs and fire it up again until it starts, or does it being in the water have anything to do with water in the engine ?

Comment

Working...
                              X