Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 GTX Limited Electrical Issues

Hi,
    I have a 1999 GTX limited. It has the 951 engine. the ski ran great when I first purchased it 2 years ago. Last season, I started having electrical issues with it. the initail proplem occured one day on the lake. I was riding at a decent clip when the ski just shut off... the chk engine light came on. I removed the key and replaced it and it started normally. My seadoo tech said it was a fluke and to ignore it. However since then I have had the following problems. the ski still shutts off at random. When it does, all the gages go dead. the electrial seems to cut out completely. Then when you remove and reattach the lanyard, sometimes it will start, and sometimes it gives you a long beep and that is it. If you disconnect and reconnect the battery, the ski will usually start.

Lately the problem seems to be worse. I had to have the strarter drive replaced, and the ski sat for about 7 weeks at the shop. now the ski will start, and idle fine, but when you aply power, the ski dies and all the electrial goes with it. Sometives it will restart, but it is a hard restart.

The only thing I have been able to discover is that if I have a fresh battery, with a strong charge, the problem seems to disappear, but if the battery is the slightest bit low the problem occours. I am using a fresh sealed battery.

also I should note that after riding the battery is usually a little low.

I have tested the stater and it is putting out almost 13 volts sometimes a little more.

Please help my seadoo tech has had the boat for 9 weeks do to back logged work and I only have so much summer left.

Thanks

PC doc

ps forgive the spelling I was in a real rush
    See you on the water!

Re: 1999 GTX Limited Electrical Issues

Have you checked all your grounds sounds like a ground is loose or the rectifier is bad have you run a test on it. Check the voltage in the battery then start the ski and rev to 5000 rpm then check it again should read above 13.1 and below 15 good luck.

Comment

" almost 13 volts" is not up to spec.
      A 15 amp fuse in the rear electrical box and a 15 amp fuse on the mpem protect the charging system. If they are in poor condition, it can keep the battery from charging.
      Next is having a dealership check the output of the magneto. The next thing is the rectifier and it is integrated into the mpem unit and is not sold seperately on the GTX Limited model.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll check the grounds and check the fuses, and then check the voltage again.

What are some other symptoms of a bad ground or rectifier? If I have to replace the rectifier, or rather the module it is in where can I get one and for how much?

thanks again,
        PS.
        If anyone needs any computer help send me a message. I'll gladly return the favor. (I own and oporate a computer bis. Networking and pc repair and such)
        See you on the water!

Comment

check everything before you buy the MPEM for a bad rectifier as they are over 700 for this one which you wouldnt want to spend if it is just a ground wire thats loose.

Comment

I own a gsx 99 ltd and same thing happend to me a couple month ago, and this is what i found>

1. the black cable running from the rear electrical box was rust inside and i change it, everything works but i fails again
            2. The nuts for the starter came off so there was no negative to the starter and it couldnt start
            3. inthis machine there are some negatives that go to the mgt front cover which happend to be rust so again i dint have power at all,
            check everything fisrt because mpem are very expensive.
            Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X