'95 Wave Venture 700 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Wave Venture 700 Help

I have owned this Wave Venture for 4 years now (1 previous owner) and have never had a single problem. This year, it fires up and idles fine but when I get on it, it starts to get up for about 5 seconds and then bogs down. I have replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, added fuel conditioners, checked all of fuel lines for clogs and even fogged the carburator.

I am a novice when it comes to the internal parts, but opened the carburator just to look and the 2 carbs flies look clean too, golden in color even. The only thing that concerns me is there seems to be some sand and an oily substance around the outsides of the paper-thin gaskets (?). Is there any other filters per say, that I need to check within the carburator for blockage and where? Or what do you suggest?

Re: '95 Wave Venture 700 Help

sand is corrosoin...no sand on water...rebuild carbs if compression is ok....

Comment

Would love to comply and I realize sand is bad, bad, but how did it get in there in the first place? I am anal about washing, rinsing and cyliconing my girls parts after every ride. Unfortunately the only thing I know how to rebuild is computers. This is my first time even opening the carburator up and looking inside. Is it difficult to rebuild or check compression? Is there a manual or something I could go by or do you recommend taking it in to the nearest Yamaha shop? The only thing is, I really don't want to get raped at the repair shop and would like to learn how to do this on my own if I can.

Comment

Check out the SBT technical articles at this link: http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...splay.php?f=30

They tell you how to check compression, rebuild the carbs, etc. Compression on your ski should be 145 - 150 psi. in each cylinder with a fully charged battery, the throttle wide open, and a cold motor.

Also, the only kind of fuel additive recommended for these motors is fuel stabilizer.

Finally, be sure and use new gaskets under the carbs when you rebuild them.

The Venture is a great ski. Good luck and have fun.
        "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice and I had to go and look, but I did use a fuel stabilizer, not a conditioner as previously stated. I did go through my owner's manual to find out what I needed to purchase and have complied with everything the book said, but of course it doesn't have a thing about the carburator except take it in to the Yamaha dealer for repair if there are problems.

I will be sure and get new gaskets and you are right, she has been a great and dependable ski up until this point. I really do enjoy riding her and she is truly my form of relaxation. Just wish I could get her to go faster too. She'll only run about 52 miles an hour, when she runs.

Thanks again, Uncle-Buck.

Comment

TeeGee - It's not unusual for carbs to need rebuilding from time to time. Four years is a pretty good stretch of trouble-free operation.

If you decide to work on your ski, I recommend that you order a Yamaha service manual and a Clymers manual. You'll find plenty of good information in them as well as on this forum.

You can order carb kits and gaskets from SBT or Parker Yamaha - or you can send the carbs for rebuild to Island Racing www.islandracing.net in NY or Watercraft Services here in Houston.
            "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

don't forget your local library. I just bought a 95 waveventure that had a locked up pump. I always buy the repair manual but for right now I was able to get a copy from my local library so I don't have to wait. It has saved me a lot of time just on this one job.
              *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
              Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

What a great idea! Thanks for reminding me that libraries are very useful sources of information.

Hope you are enjoying your Wave Venture as much I have. Mine has been so very dependable up until this point and she was my first one. I really prefer her ride over any others that I have riden. She seems more stable.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hope you are enjoying your Wave Venture as much I have. Mine has been so very dependable up until this point and she was my first one. I really prefer her ride over any others that I have riden. She seems more stable.
                  I just got it a week ago with a seized pump. Finished repair today and hope to try it sat for first time. I have been using the 93 SSXi which is a small and light weight scooter. Lots of fun in calm water. The WV is the size of a Sealy sleep sofa so I'm sure the ride will be much better.

I was able to sell the 93 SSXi for a little more than I paid for the 95 WV. After buying the parts it has only cost about $100 to upgrade 2 years, 2 feet longer and 200 lbs heavier. We will see. It I miss the scooter I still have my other SSXi with the 650 in it.

Comment

dowkk - I'm telling you, you are going to love the WV. She is bigger, but more stable and still has enough speed to still do a lot of trickery. I run mine very rich and she'll still do about 52 mph. At full speed you can whip her and dip and have a lot of fun getting wet. I have even pulled a skier and a big tube. I have had lots of fun with her.

I found out today that one of my best friends husband has a background in motorcycle, snowmobile and marine mechanics and have already called him to clean or rebuild my carbs, whichever the case may be so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I will be sure and watch every step he takes in order to learn a thing or two.

I'll keep you all informed when we find out the final analysis. Thanks for all of your advice.

TeeGee

Comment

I bought a 95 wave venture about a month ago and it is my first boat. So far it has been fun and runs good too. Just wondering what you had to do to your pump? Is that a common problem. Do you know of any other things to watch for? Mine still uses the oil injection, I like not having to mix oil.

Comment

The impellor spins in a housing with very tight clearance, 10 to 30 thousandths depending on how worn. Many Kawasaki and Yamaha ski's have a housing made of aluminum with a thin stainless liner. As the years go by corrosion sets in under the stainless liner. Eventually the liner gets pushed inward in spots and the impeller hits these high spots and can't turn. Then the housing needs to be replaced. All you can do is make sure you hose down the ski with fresh water after every outing. Good maintanence can delay some repairs but you will never eliminate them completely. Age and salt water are tough on parts.

Comment

Had the waveventure on the water for the first time today and it ran great. I was afraid it would not keep up with my sons 94 WR701GP. It runs very well since I rebuilt his carb and replaced the coil due to a really bad wire. The waveventure is so much heavier I thought it might not keep up even though his is a single carb701 and the WV701 is a dual carb. No need for concern. The WV runs away from the WR at wot. I couldn't be more pleased. Not because I can outrun him, but because we both had a great day together on 2 great running ski's. And yes, we did run em like we stole em.

Comment

Toadster - I haven't had any problems with my pump at all. My problem was the carburator. My friends husband took a look and found that all we really needed was all new airbox gaskets, intake manifold gaskets and float needles. Went and purchased them today and should be in by the weekend. Will keep you all informed as to how she runs after the weekend, that is, if we don't get another hurricane by then. Looks like we have Emily coming at us this time. We have a beach house at Alligator Point, FL and after this weekend (Hurricane Dennis), the State will probably change the name to Alligator Island because the road on the beach side has been completely distroyed. Just another reason to get my girl running so we can actually get to the beach house. I figure 3 of us at a time, plus coolers and so forth in the tube. Should be good to go, or else I may just need to go ahead and buy that bad-*** Yamaha boat they have sitting at the dealership.

Dowkk - I am so glad you were able to get your ski out and run it like there is no tomorrow. Told ya! Tell me again it wasn't great outrunning your son...whatever. You know you were loving it, but glad you guys had fun. You were also worried about stability on the water - she was great in that aspect too, wasn't she?

I have also attached a few pictures of my girl if you are interested in taking a look.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by TeeGee; 07-12-2005, 10:54 PM.

Comment

TeeGee, I have had fun on mine and still no problems. It is stable in my opinion. The only time I fell off was with 2 people on it and second time out. I was going really slow and just not used to how it handled and tipped to the side so I just let go. I live in Iowa so we don't have any ocean waves to ride on. I bet that would be alot of fun. I ride on a lake and a pond. I think I like the pond better because on the lake there are so many wakes from other boats you just never get a break from the rough water. It wears me out. On our Farm pond I can make sharp turns and spin it around.
                              I am a little worried about fliping it over, not that it is easy to do, but worried how hard it would be to flip back over. If I am out at a lake by myself could I flip it back over? The seals around the storage containers on my wave venture are not in very good shape so I wouldn't want it to stay upside down very long if it ever hapens. Has anyone ever had to do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X