Piston choice for Rotax 720 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston choice for Rotax 720 engine

I'm just a recreational rider (but like to hammer it a bit....in a responsible manner!) and was wondering what type of pistons i should use for my rebuild. I have the choice of going OEM (cheaper option) or a bit more expensive for Wiseco pistons i believe. I saw a thread stating that it would be better to use OEM being a recreational rider as they are 'cast' and heavier in weight. It suggested that Wiseco are not the preferred option for recreational engines as they can cause problems (scuffing, greater rate of expansion, etc-apparently not a good idea for individuals who do not know enough about their engines and how to take care of them). Does anyone think i should go for the Wiseco's? I'm probably just going to go OEM to be safe-my ride is a 95 XP with 720 Rotax and a factory pipe, everything else is stock. Does lighter pistons give more power and are they as reliable?

Thanks for any input:emoticont

Re: Piston choice for Rotax 720 engine

If you need to go oversize, why not try SBT's pistons? After all they do sponsor this board.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Lighter piston do not make "more power", nor are they more reliable. If they were, SD would be using them.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

go OEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        dont take shortcuts.
        wiseco.. or as i like to call them siezco pistons have a super tight piston cylinder wall clearance..
        if not warmed up really good every time you ride you risk cold siezure..
        oem is better than any out there..
        and be sure to use the oem needle bearings.. just make sure you dont screw up and spill em everywhere.

Comment

I find SBT pistons to be very reliable in stock motors. Cheaper cost to you too.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

thanks everyone for your input. Yes i think SBT OEM pistons are the way to go!

Comment

Working...
            X