'97 STX 1100 Performance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 STX 1100 Performance Question

I just got a '97 STX 1100. I had her on flat water yesterday for the first time, and was disappointed to only top out at 47MPH - WOT.

This ski has 90 hours on it, the previous (2nd) owner claimed that he never had any problems and said that the max speed is around 50. I find that hard to believe with an 1100cc/120HP triple engine. I'm thinking this should be easily in the mid 50's somewhere. My '96 Polaris SL780/90HP does 51 on flat water!

I did check the throttle-trigger position screw, and it is adjusted to allow full range. When I squeeze the trigger to WOT, I noticed that it leaves the throttle lever at the carb with about 1/4 inch play (does not "fully" open). I don't know if that is normal, or should it bottom out on the stop at WOT, or if that little bit will make much of a difference in speed.

This weekend, I plan to change the plugs, adjust the throttle cable, and do a compression test. I don't know if any of that will make a difference, so my questions are:

1) What is the top speed range on this year/model Kaw?
    2) If the compression is low, whats the best repair method (I'm new to this, so I dont really know what the "Top End" repair is .. people have told me to do the "top end". Will that solve my problem?)

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Working...
X