Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Temp Warning

Still looking for help with the following:

I have started having trouble with my '99 1200 XLTD. After roughly 10 minutes of riding, I'll get an exhaust temp warning (consistently). The first time, and subsequently several other times, I ripped the seat off an frantically started feeling around. I was bewildered to find things (exhaust manifold, cold, exhaust body cool, cat. warm, cylinders cool at top, cold at bottom) cool to cold if anything. I ride in the puget sound which tends to be pretty cool, but I also get this warning in warmer lakes.

To date I have done the following:

- Put the garden hose to all connections to check for blocakages (running the motor when appropriate). In doing so, I have determined that the portside front coolant port appears to expell coolant from the motor, and starboard side front seems to expell exhaust coolant. No apparent blockages, however, during use, the flow from both appear to be intermitant and or reduced from the past - just doesn't seem to be "peeing" like it used to

- Removed the temperature probe and inspected. Probe appeared to be surprisingly clean, not abolutely clean of course, but cleaner than I would have expected.

Before I spend the $140 on exhast gaskets to take it appart and see if there is something blocking or constricting the flow, I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced anything similar and perhaps has a different potential cause, e.g. kinked or collapsed line, blockage at the pump, etc. I am hopeful that I will not need to pull the head and check the engine water jacket ... but that may be next.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Exhaust Temp Warning

remove temp sender on large section of exhaust and look to see if it's bent...if so the cayt. is bad and might have damaged sensor...

Comment

Infact, it was bent.

I assumed it was bent to fit the available clearance inside the hole.

What do you mean RE: Cat is bad. The whole thing is shot? Hope not - that sound expensive. Might be the motivation to go stinger + short plug.

How would the catalytic converter bend the probe?

Thanks for you comments though. Any thoughts on why she's not "peeing" like she used to? Also related to bad cat?

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

cat goes bad and bounces around in there bending sensor...replace cat with D plate and sender block off thing...

Comment

This is a normal downfall of the 1200pv motors.As well as the pv's themselves.They need to be addressed before major engine damage occurs.

Do a search for '1200 pv',or '1200 powervalve',numerous threads will come up as to how to perform these tasks and what is needed,and where to get the parts.
          Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

change both the cat and PV at the same time it's much easier that way

Comment

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. When you say replace the PV's are suggesting brand new ones, or installation of the clips. I found a good post on the site which talked about 0.43" clearance ... anything more is wear. I had planned on checking these and installing the clips, but if I find excessive wear, I gues replacements are warranted.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

I had same problem. Since then added the D-plate, waveeater clips and couplers. Have used the ski (GP1200R) 10 hours now with no problems.

$150.00 purchase at islandracing.net, well worth it!
                Last edited by ScottyUSN; 07-17-2005, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X