2 stroke or 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Anyone want to offer and opinions or suggestions on a new Waverunner?

I am looking at a GP800 or a VTX11(or whatever the base 4 stroke is)

The older GP looks to be simpler to keep up and maintain over a few years, vice the quiet and newer 4 stroke. Looks like a nightmare to service the computer.

Experiences?

Thanks.

Re: 2 stroke or 4 stroke

I like the GP800's better if you ask me...
    Chris Shelton
    Sea-doo GSX Limited
    Lake Gaston, VA

Comment

The two stroke is simpler and easier to maintain but has to be rebuilt long before the four-stroke. (I like two strokes in skis and four strokes everywhere else).

Otherwise do you want the two or three seater?

I have an 03 GP800R and love it but am having carb problems right now. The GPR hull is my favorite part.

Comment

Can the electronics, and, or diagnostics on the 4 stroke be accessed easily, such as with an automotive code reader, or by a check engine light, or are they only accessible by dealer's diagnostic system?

I have, for example, Obd2 code readers, and they are great. If this cant be done at home, I guess I prefer the old school carb.

Comment

The yamaha 4 stroke can be diagnosed by holding down two buttons on spedo assy and reading codes...Sea Doo requires lap top and Sea Doo software....You can hook up laptop to the Yamaha also...Seems like every two stroke these days fail....I think the 4 stroke is the way to go...not the same power though...If ya just want to ride and have a good time get the 4 stroke..

Comment

Thanks. If it will show the codes without special scanners or software, maybe the 4 stroke is ok.

Can you tell me exactly what is required to connect a computer to the ski? Just a cable? Yamaha software?

Decision time, I guess. I am still leaning to the GP800R because it has been around a while.

Comment

i am deciding now on a new ride. probably be next summer though befroe i buy.

are there any known problems witht the 800R that is the one i think i'd love to have and i'd get the wife VX110 Deluxe. i figured i'd just wait to read up on them after this summer so i get the current info then. but the 800 has been around a while ! any pointers to look for on them ?
              1994 Sea-Doo XP

2005 Yamaha Grizzly

Comment

Working...
              X