2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI Serious Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI Serious Problem

Some of you may remember I posted a couple months ago about some type of oil leaking out the back when I crank it up. Two months ago I took it to my dealer (only has 17 hours on it total) and after 3 weeks they told me my muffler was cracked. They advised it has been fixed ($509.00) and was ready to go and tested. I took it out the following day and it wouldnt go over 25-28 MPH. After about 20 minutes it kicked in at about 35 MPH but thats all it would do. I thought it had gunk in the gas but cleaned it out and refueled it and put injector cleaner in too and it still did the same. I took it back to my dealer( pissed off of course) and today (5 weeks later) they tell me the computer is burnt up. My question is basically----is that possible and how? I dont understand how it happened and I believe it was the fault of the dealer. They supposedly tested it. Anyone know what will fry the computer like they say it was? Now they want an additional $1100 for the computer not including tax or labor. Is something up with this or am I barking up the wrong tree. I just want my jet ski fixed and after 8 weeks it keeps getting deeper and deeper. If anyone can tell me what may have caused this and even better how much is a computer for it.....Can I install it myself or does it have to be programmed and all. It is garage kept-only in the water maybe 6 times total since brand new. Thanks in advance for your help!

Larry

Re: 2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI Serious Problem

hello larry, friend of mine has the same ski and he had problem with the computer, And he called kawasaki and there is a recall on the computer. The dealer he bought the ski did not tell him about the recall they wanted to charge him for the computer until he told them about the recall. What you should do is call kawasaki and ask them if there is a recall on the ski they will ask you to give them the vin number to see if it has any recalls if they say yes make sure you get the recall # so you can tell the dealer, good luck.

Comment

Your dealer sounds like mine! They try to rape you for all that they can. I took mine in there cause the trim went out, they said it was the motor so I told them to change everything. Paid an ungodly amount to get it back. Well, not 2 weeks later, the trim stopped working again, took it back and said call me before you do anything to it. They called back saying it was ready, thinkin they fixed it on their own behalf since I just had the stuff replaced, I showed up and they had yet another huge bill ready for me to pay. They said that a different part on the motor had gone out. So they didn't fix it the first time, then fixed it without approval the second. After griping and yelling, I was stuck paying the bill. Sorry for the rant.

Is your engine running at full RPMs? Kinda hard to imagine the jet ski even running at all with a fried computer.

Comment

The jet ski ran when I picked it up several weeks ago after being (supposedly) repaired. It would not go over 25 MPH and would spit and cut off. I told my dealer to check it over two months ago and all I got was a huge bill ($509) and one run around after another. If my computer is fried I dont understand how I took it out on the water and drove it around for 3 hours (25 MPH). I think over the course of the past 6 weeks they done something to it or didnt fix it the first time. I thought Kawasaki was pretty good as I have a 1985 3 wheeler bought brand new and very little problems.

Jim, thanks for the info on the recalls. I checked out their website and entered my vin and if came back empty. I'll call them directly next week but I dont expect to get any further. I dont know whether to pay for this thing and be done with it or fight it out. My wife bought a used 1998 1000 stx the same time I did and havent had any problems. Of course hers has a choke. Their service stinks. They told me 2 months ago it was repaired and ready to go. Now I wouldnt even trust it on a pond let alone the lake. If I had a gun on me that day I would have shot holes in it and sunk it! Any suggestions again? How much is a computer for this thing? I tried reasoning with them because it wasnt fixed the first time and they charged me huge fees and took 2 months. I would have met them half way with the price minus labor and went on my way about it. The best they can offer me now is "their best price on labor plus parts".

Larry

Comment

Unfortunately, the price of the EMM is ~$1100. You can replace it yourself provided you purchase the Kawasaki interface cable, s/w, and the manual (~$140). The specific part numbers for your model can be found in the service manual. Also, you will need a laptop or a mobile PC to be able to plug into the ski. In the s/w utility there is step which copies the contents of your existing EMM. Then you remove the old EMM and then install the new one. Use the s/w to copy the back contents back.
          2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

imagine that, a dealer that won't stand behind

their work...and i thought i was the only one

Comment

Working...
            X