Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW SBT 1100ZXI Crank with bad runout!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW SBT 1100ZXI Crank with bad runout!!!

Bought an SBT rebuilt crankshaft for my 96zxi restoration project after many months of deliberations on which crank to buy since I'm shooting for 70mph (radar).

Well, I finally got the time to put it all together, so I decided to check the runout before going any further. (I have a full machine shop with precision tools for measuring such)
    So I get out the V blocks, set it all up on the vertical mill table and check the runout in the specified locations that the factory service manual gives and I get .0075" or (.19mm) at the first of 5 locations which is on the front of the motor, I didn't see the point of going any further...

The specs from the service manual which I doubled checked to be right is:
    Standard: "Under 0.04 mm" (.0015")
    Service Limit: "0.10mm" (.00393")

For a company that prides themselves in crankshaft rebuilds, almost DOUBLE the service limit SUCKS!!!!!
    Sorry, but I paid for a new usuable crankshaft, not a heap of crap that will vibrate the rest of my motor to pieces!!!
    Its so bad that you can litterally see the runout on the front snout where the flywheel goes.

So then I check the other specs, I find the connecting rod big end clearance to be over the standard, but not quite to the service limit..
    Standard is 0.45mm - 0.55mm
    Service Limit is 0.8mm

Mine is .65mm on the front cylinder, while the other 2 were at 0.57mm
    I can live with this since its not to the wear limit just yet (although it will be soon after break in), but I can't live with that horrible runout!!!
    Also I found the front snout where the two oil seals ride to have a pretty bad groove where the innermost seal rides, which can cause improper sealing which causes a number of other problems.

You would think that somebody would check all these specs before and after welding the crank to make sure they are right before it left their facility VIA thier ridiculously overpriced shipping ($50 shipping, when it only cost me $13 to ship my core back to them in their own box), but I guess they are betting on customers that will not check this to be right to begin with.

:emoticond :( :emoticonr

I will be contacting them tomorrow to get this resolved, and I will post their reply so all can see. I hope their customer satisfaction dept. is better than their rebuilding dept.

Re: NEW SBT 1100ZXI Crank with bad runout!!!

I will have the Crank Mgr. respond Monday morning.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

That is certainly way out of the spec we build and test them to, and this was most likely caused in shipping, we certainly appologize. Our specs are 0.001" - 0.0015". Please call in to Warranty and we will get it swapped out with you ASAP! 877 330 0231

Comment

Thank you for the quick response.

However,
        I do have a few questions...
        I thought the whole reason for a crank to be welded was so that it could not get out of spec. Actually, how would a welded crank get out of spec by being shipped in a box that had custom molded padding and no sign of it being dropped?

Are they rechecked after they are welded to make sure they didnt move due to the heat?

If you don't mind, could you please personally check ALL the specs on the next one that is sent to make sure we don't have to go through this over again?

Thanks a bunch! :emoticonw

Comment

Welding is to help protect against lateral torsioning, to keep it in phase, but it can still be knocked out of true very easily. I cannot account for when/where it received damage, but we do everything here possible to make sure it stays true on it's way to the customer. We do a final truing after welding - it is still very possible to tweak after a weld. Yes we will make sure it's perfect, going out this time for you.

Comment

Working...
          X