Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'97 Daytona Missing Freeze Plugs - Yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 Daytona Missing Freeze Plugs - Yikes!

Hello All,

Earlier this year I picked up two Tigersharks and a trailer very inexpensively (knowing that they’d need work.) One is a ’95 Tigershark 900 and the other is a ’97 Daytona 1000. The guy that I picked them up from had the 900 running when I took a look at them but said that the 1000 hadn’t been fired up in a year and had a dead battery. He also said that they had been “properly winterized” last year and the 1000 probably just needed a battery charge. That's a good thing since winter typically gets down to around minus ten around here.

I gave the 1000 a quick once-over and didn’t see anything major wrong. Since the 900 was running and the trailer was in good condition, I figured that the 1000 was basically a bonus so I wasn’t too worried about some work I might need to do.

Long story short – I had to change the starter on the 900 but that’s it. The 1000 is a whole other story. After getting back home to the garage I realized that both of the plugs in the rear of the engine block were missing (Water Gallery & Balancing Shaft.) Believe it or not, the engine has decent compression 110-120.

I have drained and replaced the fuel and oil, cleared the battery vent & replaced the battery. Also replaced fuel & water lines & cleaned the carburetors. You name it – all of the easy items have been checked out and cleaned.

Pardon my two-stroke ignorance, but I don’t believe that I can get this guy running without these plugs in place since the crankcase will have no pressure. That is, even if the bottom end hasn’t been thoroughly damaged by a “proper winterizing”. When I turn the motor over, the #1 & #3 cylinder spark plugs have oil them, but the #2 plug has a kind of oily/watery “gel” on it. I shop-vac'd out all of the water in the exhaust & when I tip the trailer back all the way there dosen't seem to be any water coming out of the exhaust or the block.

Expert opinions welcome - even if your opinion involves parting it out. I’m not equipped – nor do I have enough time to swap out an engine.

Thanks for the help!

Re: '97 Daytona Missing Freeze Plugs - Yikes!

If it had water inside the the bearings are toast. But if you want to try get new freeze plugs and get it running and see. It wont cost much $ to find out.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Holy cow Dank - you are fast!!!

Thanks! I was thinking around the same lines since the plugs are only about $15. Do I need to use any type of adhesive on them or are they just an interference fit?

Thanks!

Comment

Installed the freeze plugs and got it started last night - a little too late to run it in the driveway on the hose though :)

Tonight I'll hook it up to the hose and let it run for a while.

Crossing my fingers for no seize-ups!

Comment

Sound like you have a runner.... take it slow and make sure that the carbs are working properly and getting enough fuel to all cylinders. Do some plug readings and you should be fine.

Comment

Thanks Dank - slow is the plan.

I ran it for about 15 minutes on the trailer this evening hooked up to the hose. It ran really rough for about the first two, so I shut it down and changed to a new set of plugs and adjusted the idle. That seemed to mellow things out and it ran pretty smoothly. When you said to do plug readings, did you mean to check the burn condition on the plugs? The first set were black – the second were dark grey and very slightly wet with fuel.

I revved it a little after about 15 minutes and the rubber hose between the exhaust pipe and the waterbox split open. Time for another parts order J

I watched the carbs and they seemed to spray a little erraticly at first, but then the mist got finer from all three. Is there a more positive way (other than years of experience) to know whether they are properly supplying each cylinder?

The middle carb dripped gas inside after I shut it down, but I hit the throttle and it stopped. After looking at a couple of other posts, it looks like I might need to add a carb rebuild kit to my parts order.

Comment

Yes I would get carb kits and maybe needle and seats if the carbs keep dripping after a few tanks threw them. Make sure after you ride it for a few min you check the plugs and see if they are all burning even and that one is not dry and white. That would indicate a problem with that cylinder/carb.

Comment

I'll get a chance to ride next week & keep an eye on the plugs - thanks for all your help!

Comment

Hey dude, I understand you got a chance to ride the "sharks", howd it go?

Mort

Comment

You should know Mort - you were there! You smart a** :)

Well, to update anyone else who might care - here's a little joke.

Q: How do you quickly make a 1000cc Daytona into Satan's machine?

A: Easy, fry a piston and now you have 666cc!

That's right, I took Dank's advice and went slowly. Put a tank of gas through it just puttering around. Checked the plugs and they seemed ok (maybe a little rich.) Changed the plugs, filled back up with gas and went back out on the lake. Burnt about another half tank and started to bring up the RPM's a bit.

Everything looked and felt fine till the overheat light clicked on. I should have shut it down immediately, but I headed back to the dock.

The rest is history. Cylinder #3 had a silver spark plug & 0 psi. My guess is that the jet pump didn't have enough pressure to properly cool the engine (there's a bit too much clearance between the impeller and wear ring.) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I did check the compression again before taking it out and #3 was low (90 psi.)

On a good note, the '95 900 Tigershark that I got along with this one ran great (after cleaning out the carbs.) Methinks they'll both be going onto Ebay though.

Comment

Working...
                    X