99' SPX Idling Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99' SPX Idling Problems

I just rebuilt my carbs and installed all to factory specs, low speed adjuster 1.5 turns out, high speed 0 out and the ski runs great but I am having idling issues. If I set the ski to idle at 1500 on the tiny tach in the water then it revs up to 3500 out of the water. So then I turn it down to 3000 out of the water and it only idles at 1000-1200 in the water. I would be fine with the first scenario but then when I flush it out the motor wants to diesel and not turn off from idling so high. Any suggestions?

Re: 99' SPX Idling Problems

run it down to about 1400 or so and see what you come up with out of water that may be something you can live with.

Comment

Thanks... I sure I could do that but I guess I am anal about my ski and just want to know if I did something wrong in the rebuild process or do I have other issues, like air leaks.

Comment

when you rebuilt the carbs did you pop off and pressure test them the only other thing is did you use new gasket on carbs when reinstalling them.

Comment

I did test each carb for the pop off pressure and they were both about the same, only maybe 1 psi deviation, but I can't remember the psi. I know the factory calls for between 36 and 40 so I guess I am somewhere around that #. Have you found success at a particular psi?

Comment

I usually use the lower end of specs I was asking because you said you were concerned about air leaks so I stated what could have been wrong for the service that you had done. pop off and pressure test as well as carb gaskets.

Comment

it doesnt sound like you have much of a problem to me... set it at around 12-1400 rpms and it should be around 2500-3000 rpms out of the water thats pretty normal from what i read

Comment

All you need to do is slightly richen the low speed adjusters.........
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill,
                  So that I know how to diagnose future problems....why did you say to richen the low speed adjuster, just curious? Thanks

Comment

Bill said to richen the low speed adjusters because the engine is very lean at idle, this in turn causes the RPM's to increase quickly until the engine diesels (or glow-plugs as some call it). By adding additinal fuel via the low speed adjusters, you richen the mixture and avoid the whole scenario of over-revving on the trailer.
                    John Kubiak
                    Powersports Technical Training Professional
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X