Water ingestion in SBT engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water ingestion in SBT engine

I am ashamed to say that I forgot the drain plugs on my GSX and took water in my 1 tank old SBT engine. On Bill's response, I pulled spark plugs and cranked. With diligence, I got the engine running again. It's got no power in the water, won't get over 25mph unless hopping a wake or wave. (These same symptoms were in my old engine and the reason for getting the SBT to begin with) Ski ran great on 1st tank break-in, though. I'm closing in on my warranty, so should I check the RV, or do I need a new engine. Can an engine survive ingestion?

Re: Water ingestion in SBT engine

Certainly check the rotary valve, and if it's out, call in for a replacement.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

When cranking over a motor with a bunch of water inside of it, it could have pushed some water up through the pulse line and into the fuel pump. You may need to check that.

Lots of engines in watercraft get flooded with water, not many of them are destroyed by it, if the water is removed and the motor is run in a timely manner.
      Last edited by Bill O'Neal2; 07-11-2005, 04:14 PM.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Having taken it out on the water, wouldn't water get pushed out of the lines and pump from running it? Are there any other causes, as like I said, it did this very often before I put in the SBT. However, the 1 time out on the break-in tank it was fine. Coincidence? Thanks, Bill and TS.

Comment

Im not sure on this one but I will say that if you did not fix the original problem as to why you needed a new engine it is not coincedence that you are now having problems again.

Comment

No water will not get "pushed" out of the fuel pump. Once there, it is trapped.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks guys. I was pointed to RV as orginal problem before the SBT, but checked the top end while I had the engine apart, and found peppered heads, scored walls, and figured the risk of bad crank or bearings also wasn't worth doing just a top end. As long as water doesn't definitively ruin a new engine I'll get it workin'. I'll take the pump apart, and check the RV cover. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X