'89 650SX & Westcoast Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 650SX & Westcoast Exhaust

I have recently purchased an "89 650SX that has been modified with a Westcoast Exhaust. The rubber hose connecting the cone to the elbow going to the waterbox has burned through, allowing exhaust into the engine compartment. The hose looks like a pretty standard automotive heater hose, but I'm wondering why it burned through. Is there a special heat resistent hose I should use? Also, I'm wondering if the cooling hoses are hooked up corectly. I've searched online for information from Westcoast, but they seem to have disappeared. Any info on how to hook up the cooling hoses would be greatly appreciated as i am wondering if this might be causing the exhaust to overheat. Please forgive any incorrect terminology.....I'm new to this.

Re: '89 650SX & Westcoast Exhaust

I have a kawasaki x2 which has the same motor your sx has in it. When i put my Westcoast pipe on it i had to re-route the cooling lines.
    The waterline that used to comeoff the back of the stock pipe and exit the boat is re-routed to the stinger of the pipe (down there by where your hose got cooked). Im guessing you didnt have that running into the stinger or you had a kink in the hose restricting air flow.
    The line coming off the head to the top of the exhaust stayed the same on mine. I just capped off the line that came from the back of the exhaust to the back of the boat and ran a line from that fitting on the back of the exhaust to the fitting on the stinger. In between those two i drilled a hole in the side of the boat for a water by-pass fitting (Dennis kirk part #09-0571 for $8.99) and installed it with a "T" fitting.

Comment

Your cooling set-up seems to be the same as mine except that the line running to the stinger does not have a T fitting and by-pass. Is this necessary?

Comment

When you go to a westcoast pipe and manifold you loose the water by-pass fitting that goes to the stock "Pisser". Putting a "T" with the bypass fitting lets you see the water "pissing" out the side so you know you have water flowing through your cooling lines.

Comment

Working...
        X