Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha P.V. Service Bulletin

OK TROOPS!

I want someone to post the number of the service bulletin concerning the power-valve update for the Yamaha 1200 engines. I have been told on these bulletin boards that the engine for my 99 XL1200 Limited is affected and needs the updates.

However I received some shocking news this week when I went to my dealer with the facts I had learned on the SBT Bulletin board. I personally spoke with the SERVICE MANAGER about the possiblity of the power valve intruding into the cylinder because of faulty design, and or materials, and of the so-called update bulletins from Yamaha. He looked at me like I was crazy, and said he had NEVER heard of that problem, nor had he repaired that problem in any Yamaha watercraft with the engine I referred to. He went so far as to do a search through all his service bulletins from Yamaha, and even called Yamaha on the phone with my concerns, and Yamaha could not supply him with a service bulletin number that described the problems with the power valves.

NOW, I want someone out there to post the Yamaha Service Bulletin NUMBER that describes this problem and the fix. That way, I can look like I know what I"m talking about when I go back with a print out of some of the pertinent posts about the power valve problem. When I go back to talk to the service manager again, I want to be able to give him a full report.

Thanks,

USMCDAD@Att.net

Here's the page right out of the 2001 Yamaha Dealer Update Manual. Tell them to actually read it and they might have a clue as to what they are servicing. Dont let them BS you!

[ March 25, 2002, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

Hi USMC,
      I also have a 2000 XL 1200 limited. Let me know
      if you replace the Powervalves yourself or have the dealer do it. I am not an expert mechanic, and probably would have the dealer do it for me.
      I wonder what the costs would be if the dealer does it, and of course, are they competant if they do not even know about the problem. I am not sure if I should wait or just get it done.

Thanks,
      Gary

Comment

This is not a bulletin, it is a product update, for the 2002 model year! Yamaha has provided the info to let their tech people know that the new parts have been suerceded to the latest parts. It also explains the reasons for the change so a competent technican can spot the problems on previous models.

[ March 16, 2002, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Sea-Doo Tech 13736 ]
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

That's correct - it's not a recall - but all dealers shoud be aware of the problem with the older valves and like I said in my original post - they will not fix anything until it fails under warranty.

Comment

Our valves are just the valves, and are built to the -03 specs. They are less expensive that the Yamaha brand valves. You would need new o-rings for the covers if you do it yourself, we have them in a powervalve rebuild kit. Our main purpose of offering the valves is provide a less expensive alternative, and one that's actually availble. Yamaha is frequently out of stock of the updated valves.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the page. I will take it with me when I visit my dealer again.

Question: I was looking at SBT's replacement Power Valves under your "Products" page. Are these valves (I think it was part # 46-406-10) what I need to update my OEM engine and make it bullet-proof as far as the Power Valve issue goes? The price is $120, and I guess I would need three of them. -Do they come with all necessary parts and gaskets to completely do the job, or is there something else I need? Seems like I remember reading about a separate arm from R&D somewhere?

Thanks again,

USMC 99 XL 1200 Limited 23 hrs.

Comment

Dear Friends,

I am posting this for the benefit of those who have asked for an estimate of the power valve updates when done by a dealer. There are two dealers in my area. The estimate from one dealer was for $300 labor for the update, plus parts (which he didn't bother to look up). The other dealer estimated 3 hrs @$64/hr, plus parts of $109 each (times 3 for each of the cylinders). So the total was $519. That is not chump change in my book. The ski that I paid a fair $5500 price for is going to cost me $6000, and I would not have paid that much for it, had I known

I called Yamaha Customer Service @ 1-800-962-7926, and they said its too bad, but your warranty was out in 2000. -The previous owner did not bother to purchase the extended warranty, and I probably would not have either. Yamaha refused to give me any discount for the parts, but they did offer to sell me a two year used watercraft warranty which would cover repairs to the engine if the power valve DID fail. They said there were skis with hundreds of hours on them which had NOT failed. The cost of the two year warranty was $666.00 (the mark of the beast!!??)
                plus a charge of $66 from the dealer to inspect the watercraft prior to selling me the warranty.

I do have to give the service manager credit at the second dealership for knowing about the update, and he DID offer to try and get the bushings alone, instead of buying the whole updated valve assembly. I am waiting for him to call me back to tell me if that will be possible, and would save me a few $$.

If you are one of the persons considering a Yamaha ski with this engine, I would recommend negotiating the price of this repair with the seller.

Caveat Emptor!

USMCDAD

Comment

That is true, there are tons of them out there running just fine - that's why you find this is not any kind of recall, and is only covered and updated during a normal warranty failure. It is important enough that many people are choosing to have it done or do it themelves premtively.

It's not hard to do it yourself, BTW - there is NO reason you need to have a dealer do it for you, unless you physically can't do it.

And no, it's not possible to 'change' the bushings - they are part of the actual valve.

[ March 20, 2002, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Glynn ]

Comment

I heard about the Power Valve issue about 10 days after I bought my used 2000 1200XL waverunner for $6,000. If I knew about the issue earlier, I would have pre-negoitated the costs or bought a new 2001 1200XLT which was about $1000 before March 10. Oh well.
                    Gary

Comment

<<And no, it's not possible to 'change' the bushings - they are part of the actual valve.>>

I called on the dealer again today, and he was still trying to find out if the bushings were available separately. I'll tell him to quit trying. He knew that the latest bushing update was made of steel, not brass or aluminum.

OK BRYAN, I'm going to attempt this fix myself, so get ready to help me with these itty-bitty parts, tangs, clips, cinches, cables, servo's, and sticking parts that won't disassemble easily. Yeah, I know its a piece of cake for you, but for someone doing it for the first time, I know I'll need to pack my lunch. I hope I don't have to purchase any special tools to get the job done (I do have a Snap-On torque wrench). Get ready to be inundated with emails if I have a problem. I don't have the service manual, so you may have to email me a couple of pages. The dealer said he would provide me with all the necessary gaskets and parts I would need.

Semper Fi, Do this repair OR DIE!!!

USMCDAD

P.S. I'll post again when I get the parts

Comment

Okie dokey [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X