Cost of Pump Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Pump Housing

I was searching in the forums and was wondering if anyone could tell me about how much I would pay for a 96 seadoo pump housing? I took my ski in a couple weeks ago and they replaced the bearings and the shaft and July 4th weekend I got stuck in the lake. The mechanic told me he thought the housing was not damaged enough to replace but he was wrong and will replace the bearings and free again and just charge for the pump housing... I hope minus the labor since if he would have told me the housing was a little bad i would have replaced it then. Isn't that like saying the walls around your house is rotting but the plumbing still looks good?! Any pricing help guys would be a big help.

Re: Cost of Pump Housing

can't you just replace the wear ring ??? sounds like that is what you are haveing problems with ... i know they are like 45 bucks from the dealer .. but i am not an expert so i hope i am leading you in the right direction !!!

Patrick

Comment

If the housing needs replacing, expect to pay around $240.00 for a new housing assembly.

The mechanic does not owe you the labor. If he volanteers it, good, but don't expect it. He was attempting to save you $250 the first time. Now you think he owes you? It was not him who orginally caused your watercraft problem. He was not the one having the fun of riding it, and he certainly did not let it get so far out of maintence that water destroyed your pump bearinsgs.

This is why mechanics tend to replace parts that are "shaky" instead of helping people save money. If it would have worked , he would be a "HERO", now that it doesn't work, he "OWES YOU". I don't think so........

Your opinion may vary....
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

well the mechanic said he thought that the housing was damaged but not enough to worry about. This was at the time he replaced my bearings and drive shaft. Now he didnt say anything about the wear ring. He did say the damage was caused because we didnt replace the housing....Should I ask him about the wear ring? and what part does the wear ring have in the housing?
        it ran fine when i took it to him yesterday but he took it out on the river to be safe and he said the squawling noise was because of the housing needing replaced and the bearings getting damaged do to this...i know i dont make sense but hopefully anyone can help. i dont want to be paying for a problem that goes wrong every time i take it out on the lake...i would like it fixed.

Comment

in reply to the previous. i dont think the mechanic owes me anything. he admitted his mistake on not replacing the pump housing and that is well mannered of him. yes it is by choise and a nice one at that to refund me the money for previous work and only charge me for the drive shaft and pump housing. All I stated was that I hope I dont have to pay for the labor on something that he admitted to not replacing....

He also just stated to me that the bearings were replaced previously because he thought it was just a maintenance job. But today realized they were fried because it needed a new housing bad. So nobody OWES me anything for having fun, but yes we all expect fair price.
          You gave a price so thank you for your help.

Comment

Sorry to sound ruff, but I see things a bit differently frequiently around here with people (not you) that think I owe them something because they were trying to save a buck. I guess that was not the case with your pump. Again, please accept my apologies.

Frankly, I do not understand why a mechanic would "think" the housing was good, put it all back together, then say it was bad. If it was squeeling, he must have made an error in assembly, which is quite common actually. It is very easy to pinch the flat bearing upon assembly. If that was the case, then guess what? He does owe you! He owe's you all of it, repaired again for free ! All except the pump housing. If it were bad when it came in the first time, then he does not owe you a free pump housing. If he ruined a good housing upon assembly and the subsequient running of the ski, then he owes you that too.

There should be no question wether or not the housing was bad or not when he had it apart. There is a strict set of tolerances, spelled out in the service manual, that are allowed.

Why was the pump disassembled in the first place? Were the bearings rusty? or did it need a seal? Was water present in the oil cavity ? Was it siezed up? Did it growl or squeel?
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

The reason I took it in to the shop in the first place was because while I was out cutting up on it, it all of a sudden made a high pitched "rooster squawl" when i would accelerate.That is the best I can explain it. It seemed kinda rough so I was scared to ride it. I started it out of water and it sounded bad. I took it in and he said the bearings and drive shaft needed replaced. Okay, I got that replaced on it, $330 and took it out on the 4th of July. Again I thought I heard the squeel at take off in the water. I did no cut ups and drove it straight and it all of a sudden started acting like it was going to die. It died and I took it out of the water and it wouldnt start so I assumed the battery needed charging. I charged it, it started and water came pouring out of the hole in the back. More than your normal out of the water start up to get excess out. It squalled and I took it in and the mechanic said the pump housing needed replaced last time but didnt see the need at that time and everything was burnt up from the poor pump housing. The only thing good was the drive shaft. Hope you better understand. He did say it would cost me $880 to get the pump housing replaced that included the inside parts. But he would only charge me $50 freight from the dealer since it was his bad call. so in total I think im only out $380

Comment

Im sure its a typo but if not ill do the pump for 500 and save you 380

Comment

Wow! $880.00???

$380 ain't too bad, but $880.00 is over the top.

Is this guy a real mechanic?
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Sorry Bill this ones in Ark close to me Ill do it for 500 LOL

Comment

He can buy a whole pump assembly used for about $150-250.
                      A housing is nothing more than a hunk of metal and plastic housing 3 breaings. 1 thrust washer,1 seal and an impellor and impellor shaft.

They squeel because of two things. One, somebody didn't pressure test the cone when servicing the pump, or two, somebody assembled the pump wrong.

Plastic pump housings do not "wear out".
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

He said he couldn't find a pump anywhere, so he would have to order it straight from the factory. Now, I know nothing about pwc's but yes that is why i got on here with my first post and asked the pricing. Again, being female I dont know these things. It is a shop that works on pws, 4-wheelers, its, Al's Cycle Shop in North Little Rock.

the $330 job consisted first of labor and the drive shaft and pump bearings.
                        my earlier post above said he was going to reimberse me for the bearings. Since the pump housing is going to cost a said "$800", he said he would only charge me for "Freight - $50" since it was his fault. So, total so far is $380 for Pump housing, drive shaft, bearings.

Comment

Now you see Bill O'Neal2 why i asked all those questions above and said all those things you mistooken as rude. I appreciate mechanics I too dont want to be shafted.

Comment

If you look right here in the for sale forum, Shooter has a pump for sale. You could also post the question "does anyone have a pump that fits my 1996 Sea Doo"? I bet you would get a response in a little while.

Any 139mm plastic pump housing assembly will fit. They came in all 1996 Sea Doo models, and a few newer models too.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

You say "plastic" my housing that i think the mechanic is talking about is, spray painted gray and metal, steel whatever....is it not the housing down by the engine? maybe i can find a picture...i cant

Comment

Working...
                              X