swamped in Lake Erie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swamped in Lake Erie

I just got my 95 Tigershark 3 seater and took it to lake and after turning too sharp and letting off on gas myself and one other person were thrown off. The ski turned over and we turned it back over within minutes. I got back on but, did not turn it on since buddy was still in water. We somehow flooded engine compartment 3/4 full and were towed in but, I did not know about crimping water intake line so water was overflowing. I took to mechanic who said could get water out for $50. One day later he said he had to rebuild carb for another $100 which I had no problem with since I took his word it was bad. The clincher is after 2 more days he said the reeds were bent and had to replace for $70 more. I want to trust him because I was told it could have been much more but, how did I break all this stuff when I was not able to restart engine or anything to cause any suction/vaccuum/torque on components. I tried to start it to get bilge pump going but, when I tried, the whole tail end submerged....it felt like I opened a trap door on the bottom of ski the way I sank. I am assuming he bent the reeds after rebuilding carb since he ordered new ones without asking me assuming I would just say yes anyhow since I really want it back. Where can I buy a cheap fully illustrated repair manual so I can do this myself if it happens again ? I think I am being taken advantage of so I could use anyones help. Thank You

Re: swamped in Lake Erie

Getting the water out is step one and when he found it wasn't running corectly he thought the cabs needed rebuilt and did that only to find out that is still ran like crap then he found the original problem of the reeds being bent.

The reed were bent because when the engine filled with water above and below the pistons and you tried to start it the water under the pistons compressed and the reeds did what they should and closed. Now the starter motor has a lot of force and it continued to copress the water under the piston until the reeds gave way and pushed back into the reed cages. I have had customer push the rear crank seal out also if the reeds don't bend or break.

He just missed the reeds and you probably paid for a carb rebuild you didn't need but it is good to have them rebuilt every 5 years just to clear out any built up debris.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

do not buy a soloc manual
      SBT has excellent videos and brochures on rebuilding carbs and working on other things. (forum/technical articles & FAQ and forum/SBT videos.

Comment

Originally posted by dank
        Getting the water out is step one and when he found it wasn't running corectly he thought the cabs needed rebuilt and did that only to find out that is still ran like crap then he found the original problem of the reeds being bent.

The reed were bent because when the engine filled with water above and below the pistons and you tried to start it the water under the pistons compressed and the reeds did what they should and closed. Now the starter motor has a lot of force and it continued to copress the water under the piston until the reeds gave way and pushed back into the reed cages. I have had customer push the rear crank seal out also if the reeds don't bend or break.

He just missed the reeds and you probably paid for a carb rebuild you didn't need but it is good to have them rebuilt every 5 years just to clear out any built up debris.
        thank you Dank that clears things up. I went to go pick it up tonight and it was ready to go except he did not reconnect the fuel line to the carb and gas sprayed out of the tank and he was purging it out of the compartment which was no big deal but, when I asked him if he replaced an o-ring I dropped when I was taking the manifolf off to expose the pistons and get more water out of them.........He was happy I told him because if I would have driven it this weekend with him not knowing, I guess the engine would have blown up or something. He said he would have to replace this special squishy head gasket since the seal on the gaskets were ruined. The gasket looked like it was made of super thin metal. I really learned alot this week but, at a high price. I guess he can have a gasket ordered and put in by next Thurs. or Fri. which I think is weird why I can't go pick one up at a Marine Dealership. I'm sure he can order them cheaper but, with my anxiety so high it would be worth the price to have it done tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Comment

You can't get them from a marine shop since every engine in watercrafts use a different gasket. There are only three sources for a head gasket for your engine. Arctic Cat, SBT, Cometic. And I would never use the later.

OBTW I have them in stock also.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
          X