2000 xlt 1200 Saga (lengthy post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 xlt 1200 Saga (lengthy post)

Get your popcorn, boys. Buddy of mine is simply sick. This saga could be a short story. Last year he buys a 2000 xl 1200 (or maybe xlt, whatever they were that year) had 40 hours, new hydroturf. The seat, stickers, hull, factory cover, all perfect. Rides it for 5 hours or so, it starts showing an overheat warning. Takes it to the shop, where they determine the previous owner had wired/rigged the oil injection cable at full wide open, this apparently clogged the cat and was throwing the warning. So he drops however much in the new cable, cat removal/block off, etc. Takes it to the lake, is running well, uses it an hour or two, then begins to sink, quickly. Dealer had failed to tighten the exhaust to hull connection, which came loose, and allowed water to flow right in. We tow the ski back to the lift, it fills about 2/3's with lake water. He pulls the plugs, wd-40's what he can, and gets her fired back up, tightens the exhaust hose, he's back in business. Uses it another hour or two at the end of the season, and takes it home. This spring, goes to fire it up, nothing, buys new battery, nothing. Determines starter is bad, attempts to remove starter, bendix? is seized from the sinking. Gives up one fixing it himself, and takes it to a different dealer. They call with the good news, motor needs to be pulled to remove the seized bendix, he vomits and ok's the work, $1000 later, new bendix & starter replaced, engine back in place. Implores the dealer to check over everything to ensure the ski is in good shape (even considers trading it in on fx 160). Takes the ski back to the lake for our week's vacation, July 4th week. Runs it for a tank of gas or so, ski starts running strange, then just dies as he running 5000 rpm. It will start back up, but something's amiss. Gets towed back in, puts her on the lift, won't hardly run. Decide to change plugs, still running like crap, will run fine for a while, then just die. He's on the phone with the shop that pulled the motor (a little pissed when he see's a motor mount bolt missing), finally sick enough, early in the vacation, decides he's trading her in on a vx110dlx if he can find one, was willing to drive back to Louisville from Cumberland for a new ski. This is Tuesday the 5th. Can't find a deluxe anywhere close, sleeps on it, decides to just take ski home after vacation and trade it off, thinks it's cursed! Finally gets out to the dealers today, looks at the Kaw's, Honda's, Doo's, orginally looking for cheap 4stroke, decides on the RXT (yeah, I pushed him that way a bit) and is ready to pull the trigger, sends the yami around to the shop to verify trade value, expecting 3500+ or so (he goes for a burger). Pulls back up and sees his ski sitting out front, uh oh. Salesman comes out with more good news. Ski has zero compression in cyl 2, and little in cyl 3, motor is french fried, 50 hours on the clock. Gag, choke, vomit, tears. SeaDoo dealer says it is worth nothing to them, kindly remove it from their lot. Goes back to the yami dealer that that did the starter work, they feel sorry for him and offer him $1200 for trade towards an fx 160 cruiser. He ok's the deal. Expects to pick up the new ski Friday morning, then he tells the wife. She balks. He's going back to the dealer in the morning to see if he can get back out of the deal (the dealer will probably be thrilled, he didn't want the blown ski anyway). Then. . . . . . . . well that's how I ended up here tonight. Reading old posts, trying to figure out if he should put the carcass on ebay, and take what he can get, or order up an sbt block and attempt to install it himself, or pay someone to do it. Decisions, decisions. . . . . You can imagine he's a bit disgusted with the machine, and short on leasure (and wrench) time. I didn't get to the rules on core charges yet, I'm assuming if the block is cracked, the core is useless. We don't know yet if the block is cracked, I guess that will weight heavily on his decision. How much for a motor from sbt if no core? I saw $1500 with core. Sorry you had to suffer through this mess. Any moral support (or hard facts) you can offer would be appreciated.
    -Mike

Re: 2000 xlt 1200 Saga (lengthy post)

I just bought 1200xlt yr 2001 from a car dearship, they told me that they used to own a yamaha dealership but they closed the business and these skis are the left over from that store, so anyways i buy the ski i ride the ski for a bout a month runs great no problem , but after a month the motor seize for no apparent reason, i take the ski to a shop that sells yamaha skis and the next day the gave me the bad news of repairs of over $3000.
    now i dont know what to do, my biggest mistake was not buying a brand new ski with the new 4 stroke motor but i guess now it is too late.

Originally posted by mrmedley123
    Get your popcorn, boys. Buddy of mine is simply sick. This saga could be a short story. Last year he buys a 2000 xl 1200 (or maybe xlt, whatever they were that year) had 40 hours, new hydroturf. The seat, stickers, hull, factory cover, all perfect. Rides it for 5 hours or so, it starts showing an overheat warning. Takes it to the shop, where they determine the previous owner had wired/rigged the oil injection cable at full wide open, this apparently clogged the cat and was throwing the warning. So he drops however much in the new cable, cat removal/block off, etc. Takes it to the lake, is running well, uses it an hour or two, then begins to sink, quickly. Dealer had failed to tighten the exhaust to hull connection, which came loose, and allowed water to flow right in. We tow the ski back to the lift, it fills about 2/3's with lake water. He pulls the plugs, wd-40's what he can, and gets her fired back up, tightens the exhaust hose, he's back in business. Uses it another hour or two at the end of the season, and takes it home. This spring, goes to fire it up, nothing, buys new battery, nothing. Determines starter is bad, attempts to remove starter, bendix? is seized from the sinking. Gives up one fixing it himself, and takes it to a different dealer. They call with the good news, motor needs to be pulled to remove the seized bendix, he vomits and ok's the work, $1000 later, new bendix & starter replaced, engine back in place. Implores the dealer to check over everything to ensure the ski is in good shape (even considers trading it in on fx 160). Takes the ski back to the lake for our week's vacation, July 4th week. Runs it for a tank of gas or so, ski starts running strange, then just dies as he running 5000 rpm. It will start back up, but something's amiss. Gets towed back in, puts her on the lift, won't hardly run. Decide to change plugs, still running like crap, will run fine for a while, then just die. He's on the phone with the shop that pulled the motor (a little pissed when he see's a motor mount bolt missing), finally sick enough, early in the vacation, decides he's trading her in on a vx110dlx if he can find one, was willing to drive back to Louisville from Cumberland for a new ski. This is Tuesday the 5th. Can't find a deluxe anywhere close, sleeps on it, decides to just take ski home after vacation and trade it off, thinks it's cursed! Finally gets out to the dealers today, looks at the Kaw's, Honda's, Doo's, orginally looking for cheap 4stroke, decides on the RXT (yeah, I pushed him that way a bit) and is ready to pull the trigger, sends the yami around to the shop to verify trade value, expecting 3500+ or so (he goes for a burger). Pulls back up and sees his ski sitting out front, uh oh. Salesman comes out with more good news. Ski has zero compression in cyl 2, and little in cyl 3, motor is french fried, 50 hours on the clock. Gag, choke, vomit, tears. SeaDoo dealer says it is worth nothing to them, kindly remove it from their lot. Goes back to the yami dealer that that did the starter work, they feel sorry for him and offer him $1200 for trade towards an fx 160 cruiser. He ok's the deal. Expects to pick up the new ski Friday morning, then he tells the wife. She balks. He's going back to the dealer in the morning to see if he can get back out of the deal (the dealer will probably be thrilled, he didn't want the blown ski anyway). Then. . . . . . . . well that's how I ended up here tonight. Reading old posts, trying to figure out if he should put the carcass on ebay, and take what he can get, or order up an sbt block and attempt to install it himself, or pay someone to do it. Decisions, decisions. . . . . You can imagine he's a bit disgusted with the machine, and short on leasure (and wrench) time. I didn't get to the rules on core charges yet, I'm assuming if the block is cracked, the core is useless. We don't know yet if the block is cracked, I guess that will weight heavily on his decision. How much for a motor from sbt if no core? I saw $1500 with core. Sorry you had to suffer through this mess. Any moral support (or hard facts) you can offer would be appreciated.
    -Mike

Comment

In response to mrmedley.....The problem started with the water entry into the hull and motor.By that dealer being at fault,they should be responsible for all damages incurred due to that.BUT.....He should have taken it to them at that point....with the water still in the motor so that they could see for themselves that it was thier F-up.Unless you can get them to admit fault,your screwed.Sorry to put it that way.Water in the motor most likely caused the failure,or you dropped a powervalve.

Where to go now ??? The ski is still worth approx $4000 in running condition if not more.I would go for the SBT motor and either do it yourself,or find a local shop(not a dealer) to do the install.If you were closer to me...I would do it for you very reasonably...just cuz I dont like seeing people get screwed.

Another thing you could do since you have witnesses as to theh fact that the exhaust was the cause of water entry and motor failure,is take the dealer to court(small claims),they will most likely offer to settle with you out of court if they are any kind of responsible dealer.If not,proceed to take it to court.Small claims is not very expensive to persue.

Good luck,and hope it works out for you.
      Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

If you can get the ski running (SBT motor) you will like it and will have a lot more trade in value. I have a 2000 XL1200 LTD that I thought was a cursed machine. I suffered through the problems and got them fixed. Now I, wife, kids, relatives, friends, people haging around at the lake... like the ski :D . It is comfortable, stable, and fast.

I hate to hear how you got screwed by the dealer. That is why I have manuals for every ski I own and will light them on fire before letting ANY Yamaha dealer touch them. There must be some good dealers out there, but I know of none in my area.

Hope you get it going. Just be patient and persevere through it. There are great people on this forum who know these things inside and out, and are willing to help out.

Comment

small claims is good. Lotta trouble tho' , in light of what's happened.

Chris at yamaha of louisville is very good and fair ..not cheap and not too expensive. I do all my own work, but I send my friends to Chris.

The 1200 yami powervalve engine is a time bomb. Put it on ebay and he'lll get 1200 for it easy. I know guys that will give him 1200 i bet. Take the money and buy a kawi 1100 stx like yours for 4500 and go have fun. Wife should be good with that.

you guys wanna ride together sometime? i ride on the Ohio and at patoka and taylorsville. Gimme a call or email, dav_dman@yahoo.com 502-608-6227

Dave Sharp
          97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
          dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
          X