Water in hull - SeaDoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in hull - SeaDoo

I own a 1998 SeaDoo GTX Limited. While sitting in the water overnight, about 20 gallons of water gets in. We have replaced the drain plugs and the rubber boot around the drive shaft appears to be okay. Water does not enter the SeaDoo while riding, only sitting. While swimming yesterday, I noticed a pipe that comes out the rear, right above the drive shaft. The inside of the pipe is threaded. Could this be where water is coming in? If so, is there a part missing?

Any ideas? You may e-mail me at simonson@mybluelight.com

Thanks!

Re: Water in hull - SeaDoo

make sure your bilge pump is working. not that its gonna stop water from getting in. but itll help it from sinking
    98 Seadoo XP L, 04 Seadoo RXP, 96 Seadoo HX HTTP://community.webshots.com/album/109056464fXgNkM

Comment

well, you're sure it's not the o-ring (s).... I'd put it back in the water and look for where it's coming in. That much, you should actually see or feel the leak.

Comment

Unfortunately, that's the problem. We can't tell where the water is coming in. It was just serviced this summer as well. The bilge pump works while the engine is running. We have to use a wet vac to get the water out every day.

Comment

drop the ski in the water on the trailer and take off the seat and take a look at where it is leaking that much water you will see where it is coming in if it is getting there while it is just sitting.

Comment

I had the same problem with my 99 xp ltd. That threaded hole is actually your hose flush attachment I believe. But if that driveshaft seal is loose you need to replace it. Try and slide it and see if water leaks when you move it like that.

Comment

Peter, Bad advice. If you slide the seal back, it will leak water. It is a carbon seal and the metal must be up against the carbon ring to make a seal.

The carbon seal is where you should look for a leak. You should also ckeck every clamp and hose on the exhaust system from the pipe to the transom fitting.

A good trick is to put water in the hull and look to see where it runs out. tip the bow up so you do not flood the motor.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Checking all the clamps and hoses.....are they supposed to do that when they service it? (Sorry, have no idea)

The owner's manual is absolutely no help. The photos and diagrams leave a lot to the imagination. When we purchased the new drain plugs at a dealer in South Carolina, they did not provide the rubber gaskets. We went to another dealership in Georgia. The salesman there told us that bad gaskets could easily leak 20 gallons of water into the hull while sitting overnight. We replaced the entire assembly....to no avail. The water is coming in very slowly. This is why it is so hard to determine where it is coming in.

We will try the idea of pouring water into the hull while out of water to determine where the problem might be.

We'd like to have a good idea before taking it in for repairs.

Comment

even if it is only 10 gallons of water overnight which would mean it is even slower I would take whatever time it took to watch for that leak as one day you are going to wake up and your ski is going to be at the bottom of the lake.

Comment

Working...
                  X