crank seals on 97 superjet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank seals on 97 superjet

I have a 97 superjet.bought it new.sank it off shore a couple years ago.rebuilt the lower end my self a new crank from tdr,bearings, seals etc.
    ever since i tore the engine down the first time it keeps popping out the back crank seals.I've replaced them 3 or 4 times now.is there something i have missed?I havnt rebuilt the carbs although i have had them apart to make sure there was no corrosion from the salt water.factory jetting ,factory pipe,engine wise the only thing that isnt stock is the welded crank.Im getting very tired of turning wrenches on this.I don't mind throwing money at this thing but i am tired of buying the same thigns over and over -thanks pat

Joe will have some good insight in the morning I'm sure...

Comment

How exactly is the seal failing? Spring coming off, lip of seal bad or what? What brand of Seal/
      SJ Master

Comment

Rear seals blowing out on Yamahas is common, especially after a rebuild. I cannot say exactly why, but they do. The best way I've found to correct this problem is to use a sealer on the seals. I recommend Permatex 2 form a gasket. Put it on the outer edge of the seal or put it on the case and then set the seals into it, either way will work. :D [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

Could the rubber compound be shrinking from fuel additives? Does this happen to OEM seals?
          SJ Master

Comment

It doesn't happen to OEM, no. Who's are you using??

Comment

I had 2 rear outer seals pop out on 1100 (63M), come to find out that the seals are easy to get mixed up, as they will easily fit in the wrong groove. The rear outside seal has 4 small legs, it is the outer seal with the legs facing out.
              Maybe this is what has happened to you?

I did it twice, till I carefully matched the unbagged seal (part # on bag) with the part # given on the parts list. Factory service manual is no good, along with the aftermarket book.
              ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Working...
              X